• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus in mixed reef tank

corallus123

Hatchling
Registered
Hi All
I have lurked this forum for a while and read a number of different posts here (and elsewhere) on the subject but I thought I would ask for opinions on keeping an octopus, namely O. vulgaris, in a mixed reef tank (without fish).

What I have seen includes the following precautions:

- Any stinging corals need to be avoided (presumably to protect the octopus from being stung, though I question how wild ocotopi deal with this other than perhaps they dont naturally inhabit areas abound with such coral?)
- Any inverts will be gobbled
- All corals will be subject to 'abuse' ...like getting wrapped, yanked and relocated.
Has anyone here actually attempted to keep one among mixed reef and can provide some feedback?

Thanks
PatD

yes, I have had one for some time now. live rock is fine as are leathers, mushrooms Kenya tree and star polyps, red knobby starfish and pencil urchins. I have not attempted hard corals in this tank, though I do have a sps, heavy reef beside it (one photo). The main issue is escape, and getting adequate filtration without any gaps. I have a 72 gal tower with a 1/2" plate glass top drilled to accommodate and in and out for my GFO/carbon and two corners cut out for two Tunze 9012 skimmers. lighting is reef breeders Since the system is so airtight I have two skimmers as a backup in case one fails the tank will not go anaerobic, prior to that I was pumping air into the top with a big air pump. I actually have a couple of fish in there too, a large purple tang and a couple of yellow tailed blue damsels, these are too fast to be caught, he did eat some chromisis and a long nosed butterfly though. I take families on tours of my office which is located in the same building as a natural history museum, they seem to like it!

Attachments

• tempImage6xTzOU.png
    tempImage6xTzOU.png
    13.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 11.48.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 11.48.25 AM.png
    606.7 KB · Views: 52
  • tempImagewVcPHZ.png
    tempImagewVcPHZ.png
    16.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1698.MOV
    44 MB
  • tempImageAARjgV.png
    tempImageAARjgV.png
    19.2 MB · Views: 58
  • tempImage4goVse.png
    tempImage4goVse.png
    12.3 MB · Views: 61
  • tempImagegT7ukz.png
    tempImagegT7ukz.png
    12.1 MB · Views: 48
  • tempImageqVAwq4.png
    tempImageqVAwq4.png
    12.8 MB · Views: 50
  • tempImageToPje5.png
    tempImageToPje5.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 47
  • tempImagerwY9OL.png
    tempImagerwY9OL.png
    16.7 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I’ve seen octopus in the wild living in coral in the wild, though normally you find them in the rubble. Here’s one I spotted during the day in Hawaii, so I assume this was its den but it could have been on the move . My octo is a ruby so I keep my tank at 56…. 🥶
14213B9D-7323-4C0A-8801-B78BA81E2C28.jpeg

Hi All
I have lurked this forum for a while and read a number of different posts here (and elsewhere) on the subject but I thought I would ask for opinions on keeping an octopus, namely O. vulgaris, in a mixed reef tank (without fish).

What I have seen includes the following precautions:

- Any stinging corals need to be avoided (presumably to protect the octopus from being stung, though I question how wild ocotopi deal with this other than perhaps they dont naturally inhabit areas abound with such coral?)
- Any inverts will be gobbled
- All corals will be subject to 'abuse' ...like getting wrapped, yanked and relocated.
Has anyone here actually attempted to keep one among mixed reef and can provide some feedback?

Thanks
PatD
Where were you able to source your vulgaris from?

Where were you able to source your vulgaris from?
you can get on the waiting list here: Common Octopus-SBRC-I-OVG
I put myself on it a while back when I thought I wanted to get a vulgaris and I can’t remember if there was ever an email saying in stock…
There’s this waiting list also: Octopus - Assorted: Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates
Select email me when available, all different regions and sizes! No scientific names though

I’ve personally never ordered one online so I’m not sure what it’s like

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back