• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus has arrived...!

From Tom's caribbean, I finally got the octopus I ordered. It came today 3 hours earlier than expected. When I opened the box, the octopus didn't seem stressed or uncomfortable at all. Right now, its in my tank acclimating and has been for the past 2 hours. Im trying to keep it safe. It doesn't seem shy from what I see and seems more curious and very active. It's coloration doesn't show signs of anger or stress either...typically light blue w/ brown spots on the eyes which Braireus has. Once I release it completely, i'll keep updates and definately take pictures. It's about 7 inches long w/ arms and very beautiful. It looks female, but its missing 1 arm and 2 other arms are slightly shorter. It also came with a Chip-Dip top, lol.

Ya, I should get pics posted by this weekend or next weekend b/c I don't own a scanner yet, but my friend does in Philadelphia. I just released it in the tank and it of course is now hiding. I put in 2 small crabs, about half an inch long each and they keep going towards the octopus, but the octopus just pushes it away. Hopefully they get eaten in at least a few days.

thosewrights;77411 said:
congrats on your octo! What did you name her?

Monty im not new here, lol unless you were talking to something else. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I was originally planning to just wait until the octopus becomes a little more social and see how its personality is before giving it a name. Its probably going to be a roman mythological name because all the pets my family has owned including mine was always named something mythology related, lol. The name has to match it's personality as well as appearance for me. That would work.

Just a quick question for confirmation incase. Should I drop live food in on today later or should I wait 2 or 3 days to keep it settled? I put in 2 small crabs, but they just keep crawling on the octopus and bothering it, so I took them out and want to know when its ok to start feeding it. Currently, its not accepting any crabs. Should I try a different food?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Armstrong;77412 said:
Monty im not new here, lol unless you were talking to something else. I haven't thought of a name yet, but I was originally planning to just wait until the octopus becomes a little more social and see how its personality is before giving it a name. Its probably going to be a roman mythological name because all the pets my family has owned including mine was always named something mythology related, lol. The name has to match it's personality as well as appearance for me. That would work.

I meant "welcome to the new octopus" not "welcome to Armstrong," sorry if it was unclear...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conor Henry

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak