• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Wish I had not asked for the pics as I am getting too curious for my own good.:razz: I have absolutely no idea of the species so far. The large eyes could be a suggestion of a nocturnal but I am waiting on the camera pictures to go pawing through Norman. We are sure of the Phillipines, right?

re Divers Den offering:

From the red color, white arm spots, thicker front arms and lack of spots on the mantle I would guess it is another in the Macropus complex. Unfortunateyl that means it could be like Puddles (likely a dwarf species) or one of Roy's Octopus aspilosomatis (looking to be a medium sized or bigger octo). It is very likely to be nocturnal.

I have a question about availability in general. LFS dont get octopode year round do they? Im still waiting for funding, and im wondering when octopode are out of season. When are they in season?

Octopuses from the Caribbean are mostly available October - March and Tom has mentioned that the spring is a more likely time to see small ones. HOWEVER, octos have young all year round and the Oct - March availability in FL has more to do with lobster/crabbing season than octopus populations. Also note the we have seen a lot of small ones before spring this year which may have more to do with fishermen discovering a by catch market than any thing involving hatching.

All that being noted, I still wonder if my the cooler tanks have caused the hummelincki females to start to brood prematurely.

Toms got the best prices on octopus. he just had a few a couple of days ago but they sold quick. He usualy restocks quite fast. last time I checked they are going for $25.00.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back