• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

alien4fish;81536 said:
Thanks Monty:wink: i will have to look into red leds ........any idea on intensity?

I'd recommend putting them on a dimmer, so you can adjust to whatever makes your octo the most comfortable. If you have a choice, go for the lower frequency (= longer wavelength), since that'll tend to be things that your eyes respond better to, and the octo's will respond less to. I'm not sure about absolute intensity-- first off, because this is mostly theory more than experience, but also since it probably depends a lot on the shape of your tank and the stuff in it.

Akyu got a red LED flashlight, and just used that with the lights off, although I think that was bright enough that her octo reacted to it somewhat, from what I remember.

yes ..... i see your point, so in contrast to the kelvin rating with mh the lower mcd 's(26000 for example is the highest,) to start then work my down the spectrum( or mcd's if you will) to get the right lighting"comfort level" for the ceph.
Very interesting indeed ...... now how that would look to the human eye is something that would be another issue. something to deff. look into and try

Thanks. They don't have any in right now but will call me if they get some. If anyone knows of any Bimac's available right now, I would sure love to know about it. I have called every dealer on the ceflapod page. The second graders are really excited and I can't come up with an octo. Marine Bio Guy's are not ready yet, but I hope to get one of his when they are ready. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help.

Update on Dan's Octos for Sale

We now have identified the species that danthemarineman is selling: it's O. mercatoris, a dwarf species (which is what we thought it was).

Dan says these little octos are seasonal and he won't have them around too much longer - so you might want to order soon. He says he might still have a few around for Christmas.

You can contact him by email at this address:
[email protected]

Nancy

Just a reminder that zyan_silver has bimacs which he raised as a school project. He writes:

"Hi Nancy, is there a place on this website to let people know that I have bimacs for sale? My senior project is ending in 2 months and I have quite a few little critters (80) that I need to find homes for. I plan to keep a few to see if I can get them to adulthood. "

He's near the Oregon/California border, on the coast.

That's a lot of little bimacs - the project must have been a success!

Nancy

aquarium concepts in hayward ca has an octo right now. i went to take a look today. it is red and the mantle was about half the size of my thumb. they could not tell me anything more about it. i asked where the shipment came from but they said they couldnt say. im thinking its a pygmy species. they wanted 29.99

hey guys,

for some strange reason i can not delete my post I had back there about maybe sending ppl a bimac so can you PLEASE stop messaging me because I can not get you one ok!

I guess I brought this upon myself....sry every1 who had there hopes up on me but I am not a commercial buisness and I like nature where it is :smile:

Note: I deleted your July 2 message - if there are others, PM me and I'll delete them for you. Nancy

I saw an o. mercatoris [I think...] at Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, CA today! Really cute and very healthy. They're asking $29 for it, I think. It would be quite a steal if you're local....

Over on nano-reef.com in their classified, some guy has about 100 3 month old bimacs in the Rancho Palos Verdes, CA area. I believe thats near L.A. The post is here:

3 Month Old Bimacs

I saw that little Octo at aquarium concepts and it sure looks happy in that empty critter keeper in the reef tank with no place to hide.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back