• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus and Coral Reef

Guns286

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I’m in the process of making a DIY acrylic aquarium. It will be a 50g tank with a 20g sump. Ultimately (hopefully), it will end up as a coral reef tank, over time. But, my primary reason for building it in the first place was to have an octopus tank.
What type(s) of common aquarium octopus do well coexisting with coral? I know that there is the Caribbean Reef Octopus, who’s name implies that they do, but are there others? Are there and special considerations when keeping octopus with coral?
If you guys have any thoughts or experiences with this I’d really appreciate your input.

I can respond to your question. I’ve kept octopuses, but now I have coral with a few fish.
You can keep a few corals with octopuses, but I don‘t much recommend it. You can’t keep any coral that stings. The other corals will always be in danger, Your octopus is very likely to rearrange its tank, and more than once. I had some beautiful Tonga branches (live rock) which I had paced in the back of the tank. Ollie was having none of it, and took them all down. I have heard of octopuses snapping off feather dusters and planting the stems by their den entrance. Your octopus will have no respect for your corals, so be very conservative in what corals you choose for the tank, choose ones that are not so sensitive and be prepared to lose them. For instance, I have seen many photos of octopus tanks with mushrooms corals, which enhance the look of the tank.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back