• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo eggs hatched, help please???

Nautica

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
well i guess ill just leave her in and see what happens. this morning i woke up to the same amount of babies swimming around. unlike the other morning. i increased the amount of air being pumped into the tank. i think that is probably the reason why they are still swimming around..unlike the other morning when not one was swimming.
do you think that it would be a good idea to leave them in the main tank with the mom? or would it be a good idea to get them transfered into a new clean tank with no substrate, but transfer the water over?

hey ryan,
this is zyan down here in brookings, 4 hours away from you.
if the octopus is the type that lays large eggs like bimacs, you could find food for them in the tide pools. i've hatched out 125 babies in august, and have been successful in raising about 80 to the four month age. leave the mother in the tank and check on her everyday. she'll die within two weeks, and then you can remove her. you'll end up needing to get separate containers to be able to keep track of the babies, and be sure that they have adequate food. were the eggs a half inch in size, or the tinier eggs that become planktonic larvae. those eggs usually are the size of a rice grain. i'd be glad to help with anything i can.

-zyan

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Zyan,

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm curious what kind of containers you used. On one of Dr. Wood's pages he describes using a rack of PVC sections.

Thanks for making these available. You've reinvigorated the community!

Nautica

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
tide pools

How do I collect from tide pools? Should I use a brine shrimp net? Or just bring back water? I am new to all of this and need all the input possible.

Nautica

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
well, some bad news, when i got home from work today, i found nautica white and dead. unfortunetly i couldnt see any babies swimming either. dont know if it was from her dying, or just coincedental, but now im left with none.
Id like to try again someday soon, however i would deffinatly like to be better prepared and have an entire system set up ready for them.
if anyone has a good source for a new octo, possibly a cuttlefish, let me know, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all for helping me on my first egg hatching experience. hopefully the next one will be more successfull.

Ryan

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
RIP Nautica :angelpus:
Sorry for your loss.

If you're looking for another octopus, Zyan Silver (who has a message in this thread) has young bimacs. I believe cuttlegirl has some cuttle eggs available, too.

Nancy