• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octo cake pan

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
I saw this at my local WS retail store a few weeks ago (I'm the new owner of a mezzaluna!). I think they wanted ~$35 for them.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Now I've figured this out - the octopus cake pan is made by Nordic Ware (probably a Bundt cake pan) and is an Williams Sonoma exclusive.

Fancy Bundt pans (like castles) are very popular right now.

I saw a poll on a cooking website - do you love or hate the octopus cake pan? 330 people had voted and more than 80% loved it!

WS has some fancy messalunas, Dan!

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
...An now I will know that a messaluna is a half moon knife when my Banking VP Chef sister (with her two kitchens and grill zebo) tells me she spent a fortune on yet another knife. She bought a knife for my house for when she visits - kept sheathed in the drawer at all other times - because she could not tollerate any of mine :roll:. (even for a weekend).

Nancy, I'm glad you think the pan will work with a bunt cake since I can manage one of those if the grand kids help :mrgreen: I also figure I can make a geletin salad for Xmas with it (if I can find my old instructions) for ... something different. If all else fails it will make a great beach mold. All that predicated on it going for ten dollars under retail, including shipping and there are already several bidders.

Some of us cook, some of us eat :cool2:.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
A co-worker actually forwarded to me a link to this octo cake pan a couple of weeks ago. Popular item it seems!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
It would be fun, if several of us got the pan, to have a decorating contest and post our octopus cakes here on TONMO.com!

Nancy

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Maybe WS and NordicWare should be rewarded for being creative enough to come up with an octopus cake pan! I'll bet they sell a lot!

I called and asked my local WS about the pan and they said it required a Bundt-type cake to be dense enough so that you could see all the features in the design. It's supposed to come with recipes.

Interesting knives you all have for chopping!

Nancy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyR83

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak