• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. hummenlincki

Hello!
I am a husbandry intern at my local aquarium and I am conducting an investigation regarding the proper husbandry practices and enrichment training for O. hummenlincki or the Caribbean two spot. I am looking for any information on the natural history and practices that have been successful for the animal. If anyone has anything please share. There isn't much known about this species so I am looking for any help!
Thanks!

Hello!
It's nice to see another aquarist on the site. What kind of information are you looking for specifically? How do you currently keep your animal? Do you know any water quality specs off the top of your head?

I can give recommendations as to food and whatnot. Does your institution already have protocols in place for feeding and enrichment?

We haven't seen too many O. hummelincki (AKA O. filosus) in awhile. I hope your interest means the population has recovered from the earthquake and extreme cold in 2010. When searching for articles, include the name O. filosus. The official name has flip flopped numerous times so older articles may be under the alternate name.
In times past they were very common and available to hobbyists, sourcing from the FL keys and Haiti. I don't know if their disappearance from the Haitian market was directly related to a reduction in population or the reduction in the trade after the earthquake but since that time there have been fewer on the market sourced from anywhere.

Our journals are used more for recording personal experiences and are not scientific but here are a couple of more resent histories

ET (2018)
Penelope (2015)
Pablo (2014)

Hello!
It's nice to see another aquarist on the site. What kind of information are you looking for specifically? How do you currently keep your animal? Do you know any water quality specs off the top of your head?

I can give recommendations as to food and whatnot. Does your institution already have protocols in place for feeding and enrichment?
I am looking for any information on the natural history or experiences that you have had with working with this species. I have gathered some information, but it has been difficult to find much on the natural history. I would personally just like any information you have had gathered from research or from personal experience and see if it applies to the O. hummelincki.
thank you so much,
-Scott

We haven't seen too many O. hummelincki (AKA O. filosus) in awhile. I hope your interest means the population has recovered from the earthquake and extreme cold in 2010. When searching for articles, include the name O. filosus. The official name has flip flopped numerous times so older articles may be under the alternate name.
In times past they were very common and available to hobbyists, sourcing from the FL keys and Haiti. I don't know if their disappearance from the Haitian market was directly related to a reduction in population or the reduction in the trade after the earthquake but since that time there have been fewer on the market sourced from anywhere.

Our journals are used more for recording personal experiences and are not scientific but here are a couple of more resent histories

ET (2018)
Penelope (2015)
Pablo (2014)
Thank you for the journals. These journals are personal experiences from a home aquarium? or are they from an institution? Also thank for the information on the species name. We have struggled to find a consistent name for this species. I didn't know anything about a reduction due to earthquakes so if you have anything more on that that would be great.
Thank you,
-Scott

These are great links D! Saving for my own use at a later date :smile:

@scottbiddinger See if these papers help answer some questions for you, and if you would like more resources I can spend time digging around and see if I can find anything useful to answer more specific questions.

@pkilian Please update/contribute to the Cephs by species science links anytime you find specific species related (old or new) access to papers. I have tried to keep Octopodidae entries collected under each species name along with the discoverer and naming year.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back