• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

New Member with an ID Question

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
I would like to thank all of the members of this site! I have recently got back into the Octopus hobby and this site provided me with all of the information I needed before I made my purchase.

I have had my Octopus for about a month. The place I purchased him/her from did not know what kind it is except that it was not a pygmy or blue ring. I only had a blue ring octo before so I am not sure what kind this one is. I can't show any good picks because he only is out at night! I can tell you he/she is usually red or white. He/she loves fiddlers. Usually only comes out at night but has been out longer in the morning. The head is about 2" long. See picture. I know its not the best. Let me know if I can provide more information.

Attachments

aximbigfan

GPO
Registered
maybe a briarius. the pic is too low quality for me to tell very well though. can you get a photo of her mantile and tenticals? also try and get the most contrast you can. does she have any eye spots?

chris

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!:welcome:

Nice octopus! I'd like to add him to the List of Our Octopuses, if you'd tell me what his name is.

Well, we know that your octopus is nocturnal (and it may gradually adjust and come out more during the day.)

Does it have webbing between its arms, so that it can float down and envelop a rock?

Does it have a blue-green glow at times?

The body is 2" - how long are the arms?

Is it usually smooth or textured, or both?

Even if you can't get particularly good photos, it woud be good to have more than one posted for ID.

Nancy

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
His/her name is Cyclops (always peeking out of its den with one eye).

To answer your questions:

1- No webbing
2- Haven't noticed a blue-green glow
3- the arms are at least double the body (probably 2.5 times the size fully stretched)
4- Almost always smooth. I noticed once it was rough

I will post more photos when I can get them. Once the light hits him at night he moves for cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuroraVK

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak