• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New member - mimic octopus - big mistake?

big red

Cuttlefish
Registered
& more :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_287904.jpg
    conv_287904.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 62
  • conv_287905.jpg
    conv_287905.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 53

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Typical behaviour for wunderpus and the mimic is to bury in the sand and only emerge to feed at dusk and dawn. As for whether they are venomous or not, who knows. There are no data either way that I am aware of. We have some prey that were killed by wonderpus and then immediately frozen, but chemical analysis won't be run until next summer. We are not sure there will be sufficient material to show anything, but it is worth a shot.

Roy

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hmmm...neat looking octo...hope we can learn more about them...can you imagine a captive breeding program in the future? That would be something else...
greg

big red

Cuttlefish
Registered
To update you all, Ive now had him just over a month & he seems to be doing well.
He occasionally hides under the rocks but still spends most of his time out in the open. He seems to prefer it high up in the tank on the glass just under the water line. When hes asleep he bunches up into a blob & goes very pale but his colour resumes as he wakes. He get the odd crab for a treat but still happily eats the frozen cockle. Id been advised that he needs mental stimulation so have put some toys in there (e.g. a darth vadar figure) & lots of tubing. I also tried putting his food in a jar with the lid done up but to date he hasnt worked out how to open it. The lfs that sold him to me advised me that he handled him several times in the shop & as he was coming round my house to help me with a different tank he showed me this. He put his hand in and within 2 seconds my octopus climbed on him for a nose. After a few mins he got bored and let go. So in that case I have another question - If he is poisonous how would he poison you? I assume it would be only if he felt threatened?. He is very bold and doesnt worry at all if you need to go in the tank to do any sort of maintenance etc.

big red

Cuttlefish
Registered
Last night I put his food in a mayonaise jar (obviously washed out) and did up the lid just tight enough so that it couldnt be knocked off & would have to be turned. This morning I checked & he had opened it. Im a very proud mum!

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
It's really nice to hear that he's progressing fine, and what lovely photos i might say.

The octo would have to feel threatened or mistake you for food if it were to bite. But normally if it's threatened it'll resort to a few other tactics first.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Your octopus can't bite you unless it's in a position where its beak makes contact with your skin. It's usually possible to avoid finding yourself in that position by keeping your hand above or to the side of the octopus.

They do sometimes give you a little nip out of curiosity, but you have to let them envelop your hand, for instance.

Nancy

Mizu

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Megas keeps trying that. Pull your hand in and then try to cover it with his whole body. KNEW he was trying to eat me.
grats on keeping that mimic going he looks kewl
spooky but kewl