• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New Cuttle

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
I drove up to Octopets today and purchased a young Bandesis cuttle from Jim. He is hiding right now, I am a big believer in letting them have tons of places to hide. I drip acclimated him and hoping he settles in nicely. Wish me luck!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Congratulations and good luck with the little guy!

I didn't realize that Octopets was selling that species yet.

Nancy

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
Squirt

Squirt is his name. I didn't know Octopets had any either I just asked to come by and see what he had. It turns out that he has quite a few baby bandesis. If you want them email him!

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
If anyone reads this

About how long does it take a baby cuttle to warm up the environment. I only have one shrimp and one NON-Damsel fish in there with him along with a star and two snails and two hermits. With the octo it took about two weeks. What about a baby bandesis? I fed him live brine shrimp today and some amphipods. What else is recommended live food for him? Are they noctural or will they adjust to your schedule like the Bimac? Thanks

~Paul

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
pilotinho said:
About how long does it take a baby cuttle to warm up the environment. I only have one shrimp and one NON-Damsel fish in there with him along with a star and two snails and two hermits. With the octo it took about two weeks. What about a baby bandesis? I fed him live brine shrimp today and some amphipods. What else is recommended live food for him? Are they noctural or will they adjust to your schedule like the Bimac? Thanks

~Paul

Hi Paul,

Don't know much about feeding cuttles but one thing I do know is that brine shrimp are not suitable food for anything! At most they can be used for emergency food, they are just not nutritious enough. My favourite analogy is that it's like us eating lettuce as a staple diet! Go heavy on the amphis and light on the brine shrimps! Also check out Tony's Shrimpstuff.com there's a link on the home page-much better food for Squirt!

J

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
brine shrimp

Ok I checked shrimpstuff, where and how would I keep 100 live shrimp? Would I put them in a breeder net or just turn them loose in the tank and let him eat as he likes? Will they get sucked into the filter? I also ordered some fiddler crabs from aquaculture.com but I guess he won't be able to eat them right away. He is too small. Thanks for all the help, this stage in critical in that I need to get my system of feeding up and running to keep the little guy happy.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak