• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

N00blet questions

matticus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hey, I'm very interested in buying a bimac, but I might have some beginner questions.

1) I live in Canada, does that make a difference for shipping or whatnot?
2)There is no place to get them, except mail order and maybe Big Al's Aquarium Services
3) Cost, how much (roughly) would it cost to maintain one of these babies?
4) I already have a 90 gallon freshwater tank and a overrated filter ( i have an oscar and a butterfokeri...if thats how you spell it)

thats about it, any help would be greatly appreciated

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Welcome to TONMO.com! The best resource for newbies is here:

http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/cephcarejump.php

Have at it! Also use our forum search function for specific questions. I'm not sure what the latest info is on availability in Canada (there's a bit of a "drought" being dealt with in the US as well). There is a thread dedicated to octopus availability; it's one of the first threads listed in the Octopus Care forum.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
:welcome:
After you've read the articles, you can also ask any questions you may still have here on the boards.

Greg

:welcome: I guess the best advice, besides reading everything, is to take your time. It takes a lot of preparation to be ready to keep an octopus.

matticus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
well i read all that there is to be read.
and i found places where i can order an O, but, they dont have the "arrive alive" guarantee.
also, what's the bare minimum id need to invest in terms of a protein skimmer( i have a really crap ass one), my filter now is a rena filstar Xp3, that should be enough right?
also, whats the average i should expect to spend on feeding this beast?
thanks

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
food typically runs between 250-400 u.s. per year, you should be able to pick up a good skimmer for under 150.00 u.s. for that size of a tank.

matticus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
alrighty, so basically, i need a freaking job before this guy is happening, also, how many bimacs can i put in that tank?
i might consider breeding as long as they dont rip eachother apart

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Oh, only one per tank...rarely do they become social unless they are housed in massive tanks (think thousands of gallons), although some tonmo members have been lucky in keeping a few together in aquariums of the 125+ range.

matticus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
alright, cool.
umm i have kiddie sand in my 90 gallon now (non silica), can/should i keep it in the tank when i get the bimac?
also
how much live rock( roughly) should i buy in order to make this guy happy?

matticus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
alright, update
I found a Not so LFS that can get their hands on tank-raised bimacs, he also gave me specs as to what i should spend to get one, i was wondering if what he said sounds reasonable.
he said i should spend about 500 on a protein skimmer
he said i should get another rena filstar Xp3 (i already have one)
as well as a couple hundo for live rock, etc.
he said i'm looking at about a grand.

is that about right?
cause if it is....i need a job, and fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan