My New Octo and ? On ID

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi all,

I haven't had an Octo in quite some time after my Vulgaris died after 4 months :sad:

I finally decided to get another when someone I know had the fortune of getting one in stock. I thought it was Vulgaris but I have seen this one change colors and texture in a way I never noticed with my other. I don't take the best pictures but here are two. Most of the time this Octo has a white stripe down the middle of his head. Actually, the color and texture in the pictures is quite rare for this Octo but the only good pictures (clear) that I could take.

DSCN1588.jpg

DSCN1589.jpg

I have had this one for three weeks.

Thanks!

simple

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
It sort of looks like mine (Abdopus Aculeatus) and i have seen mine with the white stripe, though she doesn't do it too often. Do you know were it originated from?

Looks like a juvenile A. Aculeatus. They have long arms compared to their body size and little webbing. Papillae are typically seen and make the octopus appear to have a rough texture. Have you noticed that on yours at all? He looks very smooth in the pictures. I feel sorry for that poor cardinal :smile:.

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
shipposhack;105836 said:
Looks like a juvenile A. Aculeatus. They have long arms compared to their body size and little webbing. Papillae are typically seen and make the octopus appear to have a rough texture. Have you noticed that on yours at all? He looks very smooth in the pictures. I feel sorry for that poor cardinal :smile:.

LOL. There was 3 cardinals....Now two hmmm.

Here are some better pictures. the Octo is out in the morning and in the afternoon with the lights on. What an appetite! The Octo is eating a fiddler while I am taking the pictures.

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1596.jpg

DSCN1606.jpg

DSCN1614.jpg

DSCN1615-1.jpg

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I was just adding your octopus to the List of Our Octopuses (at the top of Journals and Photos) - does it have a name yet? And where did you get it - at a local fish store?

Thanks,
Nancy

Domboski

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi Nancy,

I haven't officially named him/her yet but I have referred to him/her as "glove" because he/she catches fiddlers out of the water column when I drop them in like a baseball player catching a flyball. Pretty funny.

I got her from an LFS that doesn't usually carry Cephs but gets them on occasion (NYAQUATIC). They specialize in Fish not Cephs.