• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

My new Argonauta

Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
marinebio_guy said:
Well this afternoon I went Kayaking with my Mom who was visiting, about 15 minutes into the trip and af corse as a Marine biologist was loking down into the water when a female Argonauta floated right by the boat. I'm suprised I did not flip the boat right then because I was so excited. Luckely I was able to grab it from the boat but I probably would have swam a mile to get if I had to. Pics of it will soon fallow. Hopefully I will be able to keep it alive, the longest time someone has kept one alive is about 2 weeks I think. Hopefully with my Marine Lab resources and the resouces of the Aquarium of the Pacific and Cabrillo Aquaium I will be able set a new record and get some good scientific data from it. Wish me luck.:smile:

luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)

anxiously awaiting pictures... and since I'm close, any chance of visiting?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
monty said:
luck luck luck luck luck! (we need a shamrock smilie)

And here's a shamrock smilie, too:

edit: as long as I'm at it, I made a fingers-crossed smilie, too, but I don't think it turned out as well:

Attachments

• conv_289395.gif
    conv_289395.gif
    131 bytes · Views: 96
  • conv_289401.gif
    conv_289401.gif
    142 bytes · Views: 90

ravenschild

Cuttlefish
Registered
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.

ravenschild said:
Good luck! I'm at the Santa Barbara Museum, and there's an Aussie here going through our collections working specifically on Argonauta. Seems to really know his stuff on them. You should get in touch, since you're close.

I was just up there last week. You can give him my e-mail [email protected] I would like to know as much as possible.

Congratulations on your lucky find!

Please keep us all updated!

I'll help put them up too. If the photos are too large to email I have a assisted FTP you can upload to - you don't need any software to use it, just like the images here, but no size limit.

I'll pm you with the link if you need it.

Mike

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak