My first O. Hummelincki

So.. I just read this entire thread. Im currently at work, and just spent the last hour and a half reading and watching videos! I enjoyed all of this, and i am impressed at everything that you went through and still managed to come out and currently still have her. She is amazing. Im sooo jealous! Im currently working on setting up my own Ceph tank, please keep in touch with me, i would love to hear more about your journeys!
Thanks
Best of luck:biggrin2:

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed reading my journal. I believe that under the right circumstances you can do alot in terms of keeping a broad ecosystem in an aquarium, but it takes alot of work. You have to be willing to monitor it constantly, taking roll off every animal and watching for signs of aggression. You also MUST be willing and able to separate any problem animals before things get out off hand. Once it does, you'll never get it back. What I did was alot of work and I don't recommend it to the inexperienced, but I wish you the best of luck with your new tank.

Thanks! I am not interested in doing that sort of thing with a octo like you did or cuttles, but yes i have to agree in some aspects that givent a large enough tank, they can almost "sustain themselves", and like you said you can build a mini ecosystem. And keep corals with coral eating fish, and predators with docile non-agressive species! Just like the ocean :smile: :smile: I cant imagine the amount of work it took for you, and i continue to wish the luck upon you and have fun in your experiences!

I will interject only once here but please consider that IN the ocean, coral eating fish EAT corals and when the supply is not abundant enough the EAT other things (case and point: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-news/2010/12/17/damsel-damage.aspx). I fail to understand why it is not clear that an ocean is large enough for sustaining natural opponents but an aquarium is not. It is not possible for a home aquarist to provide the quantity and variety that our oceans supply (and we are seeing issues with the limits of the oceans as we observe declines). Why would you pit natural aggressor in a home environment? IMO a home aquarium should REMOVE the natural predation in exchange for the enjoyment we have in keeping the animals in our glass cages.

I understand the ocean is the "ocean" and that cannot be duplicated in a sense. One has to keep in mind as a home aquarist we are in charge of feeding. So the coral eating fish wouldnt eat all the coral in the tank, as long as they are kept well fed and in a larger system. I do fully understand what you are saying though, and in many respects agree. But i find the idea and curiosity fascinating. I kept an all Trigger fish tank once when i got started in the hobby, i had everything from Undulated Triggers, to Clown and Niger Triggers. In the 75 gallon system i am settign up once again i kept a total at anytime between 8-12 at the same time. I also housed hard corals and leathers in with them, and they didnt seem to pick that much. They did pick, but not enough to wipe anything out. I succesfully kept hermit crabs, and snails in with them too. I kept them well fed and they were happy. But i knew the minute i faulted on my plan, things would go south. And i admitt, i lost some nice specimens at their expense, but for the most part it was a beautiful and entertaining tank for me. But dont get me wrong D i do agree, and after reading that article, i know where you are coming from and where you stand. And im right there with you in the majority vote, but it does arouse my curiosity of what all can be done in the home aquarium.

I'm sorry if there was any confusion in what I said. I'm not saying that you can replicate a marine environment to the T in a home aquarium. There are way too many variables that we don't even understand to fully duplicate that in any aquarium, laboratory or home. What I was referring to is taking select species from a specific environment (both aggressive and passive) and placing them in such an environment with the proper care and feeding to keep them both happy and healthy so that they leave each other alone. I'm not trying to boast, but I did achieve this to an extent at the beginning when I still had fish and corals in with Bubbles. The only casualty was the one damsel that got scared and ran beneath the rock that she was denning in at that time and did this at the exact time that I had scheduled as Bubbles' feeding time. Other than that I had no incidents, and none of my animals were harmed.

Now as for what you are saying Cephdoc, I don't really agree with that many triggers (especially the Niger Trigger which gets a good two feet long) in that small of an aquarium. Even if you purchased them small and got rid of them as they grew, I still find this irresponsible because IMO if you buy an animal, you should be prepared and willing to care for it through its entire natural life. Animals are not something we keep for our pleasure or amusement or to be traded and tossed aside as we see fit. I understand that we get pleasure and amusement from this, but they are living breathing creatures just like everybody else and deserve our admiration, love, care, and respect. As for the corals with coral eating fish, no matter how much you feed the fish, they will still predate on corals. It’s instinctive for them to do this. In the wild that is their natural diet and some fish eat only that. To place an animal in an aquarium with its main natural food source and feed it something else in hopes that it will not eat its natural food source is naive. I'm not trying to be mean; I am just putting my opinion out there. Like you said, they still ate some corals. D is right about home aquariums being a stress free environment in trade for us keeping them in captivity. I would like to add that what I did was just an experiment not only to see if I could sustain that sort of environment but to observe Bubbles' behavior as well as how each animal interacted with each other. It was not a long term experiment, and in the end I reverted back to a species only tank for her. I can tell you that there are drastic changes in behavior, some good and some bad, but over all stress wise I believe that a species specific tank is best for the animal. This is especially true if you are looking to have daily interaction with this animal other than just feeding it.

Now as for what you are saying Cephdoc, I don't really agree with that many triggers (especially the Niger Trigger which gets a good two feet long) in that small of an aquarium. Even if you purchased them small and got rid of them as they grew, I still find this irresponsible because IMO if you buy an animal, you should be prepared and willing to care for it through its entire natural life. Animals are not something we keep for our pleasure or amusement or to be traded and tossed aside as we see fit. I understand that we get pleasure and amusement from this, but they are living breathing creatures just like everybody else and deserve our admiration, love, care, and respect. As for the corals with coral eating fish, no matter how much you feed the fish, they will still predate on corals. It’s instinctive for them to do this. In the wild that is their natural diet and some fish eat only that. To place an animal in an aquarium with its main natural food source and feed it something else in hopes that it will not eat its natural food source is naive. I'm not trying to be mean; I am just putting my opinion out there. Like you said, they still ate some corals. D is right about home aquariums being a stress free environment in trade for us keeping them in captivity. I would like to add that what I did was just an experiment not only to see if I could sustain that sort of environment but to observe Bubbles' behavior as well as how each animal interacted with each other. It was not a long term experiment, and in the end I reverted back to a species only tank for her. I can tell you that there are drastic changes in behavior, some good and some bad, but over all stress wise I believe that a species specific tank is best for the animal. This is especially true if you are looking to have daily interaction with this animal other than just feeding it.

As for this, I appreciate the opinion as always, but reading this entire journal of yours seemed very hypocritical, and contradicting of you as to what you are saying now. It took in upwards of months and 20 some pages of input and advise for you to realize what you were doing was not the best for the animal as you see fit now. I never said anything about keeping an octopus in an environment like you did. And you mention about being well prepared and being able to take care of and love for these animals you get, yet you kept her in a box for how long? And also had a Eel in your tank that you were reluctant to get rid of? I believe everyone is irresponsible in some way or another. We all do things we shouldn't. I never had to take any of my fish out because they couldnt be housed with one another, i took the chance and knew of most of the risks. What i did was different than knowing the natural predation of a eel and octopus, and still going forward with your "experiment". If im not mistaken, without the constant pressure form the Tonmo members, you were probably going to keep that Eel in there? This would have surely ended in a needless and arbitrary death of a octopus. I am very in-tune to the advice i get from this forum, and take it with the utmost respect and appreciation.

With all this said, anyone reading this, and especially skywindsurfer, i mean ABSOLUTELY NO DISRESPECT AND I AM NOT OUT LOOKING FOR AN ARGUEMENT...PLEASE NOTE! I just thought i would share my thoughts and or comments after reading this journal, and i see its been taken alittle too far IMO. I was just trying to share similar personal experiences. I guess what i did with my Trigger tank was wrong in many ways, but it was successful, and was alot of fun. Alot of people would call it "irresponsible" or "inhumane", but the full story behind the tank goes deeper than just housing a bunch of Triggers for the "Hell" of it. The well being of all the species in the tank were never in jeopardy. I kept the tank well maintanined and maintained good health of them to the best of my ability.

Once again i want to emphasis that i apologize for coming off like i have, i mean nothing by it. I felt like i was being attacked for no valid reason. You originally post all these ideals and "experiments", and preached for months the success of the tank, and now after all of that you preach that you FINALLY realize the best thing for some things like Octopus is a species only tank... I never thought it would take so much to finally realize this and come to terms with it. But i do admire the admiration you had at the beginning. I was just dumbfounded at how little you payed attention to the advice besides the Eel being taken out of there, and in turn now preach that what you are doing now is the best. I know this, and this is currently what im setting up for with my system. Ive been in the hobby for 6 years now, and i am just finally getting a ceph tanks started. I have always been interested in them, but i knew it took a special set-up, and finally my time has come. The dream is coming true.

Please do not be mad, or upset with me over this long message back, i might have overreacted and some of this might be taken wrong because its impossible to understand my tone of direction of and lack there of a human to human interaction/conversation for us to really be on the same page. So once again my you have my apologies.

No appologies needed Cephdoc. I understand about the lack of human to human interaction having issues on how we read each others comments. I have no problems with what you did housing all of those triggers, my concern was with the small space with so many fish. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was "attacking" you. I just wanted to voice my concern on that issue. About what I did with Bubbles, I think it would be ok to do it again. I never said I was wrong, just that the animal would be less stressed and more interactive by itself. She was never in any danger of being harmed. My wife and I made sure of that. Now I'll admit that the eel was pushing it and I won't do that again. Again I wish you the best of luck. Try not to take any of this personal. I've found that people who care for animals tend to get a bit touchy about the techniques of others and things can get a bit out of hand.

I just had a great experience with Bubbles. After feeding her two shrimp a little while ago, she sat on the glass near the surface and allowed me to play with her for at least thirty minutes. She even let me stroke her mantle a good little bit. I decided to try and hold her in my hand like I see everyone else do with theirs. I'm still not willing to do it bare handed though so I put on my dive glove lol. She sat in my hand for about five minutes. My wife even managed to get a VERY short video near the end before she swam off. She could feel my finger tips through the holes at the end of the gloves and still kept trying to pull them to her beak, but I wouldn't let her. Eventually she gave up and just sat there.

I had another interaction with Bubbles this evening. My wife fed her while I was at work, so I took the opportunity to interact with her without the incentive of food. I wasn't so surprised to see that her aggressiveness went down when she realized I wasn't feeding her. This didn't take but a few seconds. I was wearing my finger-tip-less glove of course lol. She quickly crawled into my palm and then preceeded to climb up to my wrist. Worried that she was going to attempt to bit me there, I tried to pull away. This didn't work at all. She grabbed my other hand and was pulling both to her beak. Her siphon was slightly out of the water and, well...lets just say that I took a late shower this evening lol. I had to change clothes after managing her back into the tank. All and all, I had a blast, and I think she did as well. She didn't even run off. She just floated to the rock right below her. I reached down and she touched me with her a few arms as to say "We're cool." and then I closed the top and we went our separate ways for the evening so to speak.

In preparation for our move into a new apartment soon, I've purchased a 55 gallon tank/stand/canopy from my LFS for $85.00 so that I can transfer everything from the 250 gallon into it and use the current 55 gallon sump as a sump for this new 55 gallon. I'll still keep Bubbes in the main tank while keeping the stingray and eel in the current sump. I'm going to break down the 250 gallon tank and store it until we move into our house in a year or so, so I don't for see anymore cephs until then. :frown: Bubbles is still going strong. She doesn't crawl across the entire length of the 250 anymore. She mainly stays in about a 2' x 2' area near the far right. Most of the time she stays in the top front right corner upside down slightly. I'm actually happy about getting this smaller tank, because that allows me to put it in the living room next to the couch. With her current tank being in the bedroom, it's pretty much out of sight out of mind. Now I'll get to spend more time with her. Since she's getting closer and closer to the end this is a really good thing.

I'll start the transfer from the current system to this one after work tomorrow. It'll probably take all night, but I'll try to take a bunch of pictures of all the different stages as I go. When I finish I'll post them. There is going to be a lot of rock and sand jammed into this small tank. I'm estimating that I'll have about four inches of substrate across the 55 gallon. Right now if I spread the sand evenly across the 250 there is almost an inch. Any bets on how deep it'll be in the 55? I wont post demensions of the tank so we can keep this a fair guessing game.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back