My first O. Hummelincki

I think Bubbles is finally nearing the end. She hasn't excepted food in a few days and I haven't seen her leave her den either. I peaked in there this evening and she's all wedged in there. When I touched her with the food she just pushed it away. I told my wife to keep an eye out for her and if she does see her out and about to check her den for eggs.

Another day and still no movement from Bubbles. I know it's too early to be certain and she could just be going through a 'phase' but I don't think so. I'd take some pictures but I'm not sure if they would come out very well. I'll see if I can manage some form of picture or video soon.

If she's now staying in her den, possibly with eggs, she won't come out for 6 weeks or so. This is true even if she lays infertile eggs.

Nancy

I know. :frown: She's getting close to the age. I estimate she's somewhere around 9 months or so. This sucks because she's just recently become really interactive where she would actually swim up to my hand and take the food from me.

My wife said she came out today while I was at work, grabbed a bit of food, and went back into her rocks. She said she didn't have time to check for eggs, so I'll see if she's in the same spot when I get home.

Last night Bubbles was sitting at the edge of her den. I managed to lure her out with a piece of shrimp which she took from my hand. I was able to look inside her den and found that there were no eggs.

Last night she came out and I was able to feed her again. She wouldn't take the shrimp from my hand but she did touch me. I eventually had to use the feeding stick. I used this opportunity as well to clean her tank. I moved some of the plumbing and rocks around to to make the tank look nicer and also to help prevent dead spots behind the rocks. Then I wiped down the sides of the tank real quick. She did fine with this. She stayed to one side or the other as I was cleaning. There were no eggs, and she stayed out for several hours last night. I guess she was just taking a vacation from us for a few days. I think she's done this at least two or three times were she dens up and doesn't come out for several days.

So it was just another episode with her. She's been coming out for good bit again and interacting normally like she always does. I rearranged the rocks to help the flow through the sump and keep uneaten food from collecting where I can't reach it. But she's eating well and back to normal.

Glad to hear she's OK.

I experienced the same thing - several days of different behavior and withdrawal. It's hard to figure out what causes this.

Nancy

I just added a bio tower to the sump so I had to rearrange the rocks and macro algae. I also put a small power head in as well. Bubbles really enjoys this. I caught her playing with it shortly after I put it in.

Here are some pictures of Bubbles' new home arrangement. I'll have videos posted shortly.

Attachments

• conv_297079.jpg
    conv_297079.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73
  • conv_297080.jpg
    conv_297080.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_297081.jpg
    conv_297081.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114

In this video I was trying to show you how she reacts to my hand and scrub brush when I stick them in there. She doesn't always go for my hand but occasionally she will. You can see how upset she was with that piece of PVC pipe I tried giving her to play with. She stayed upset well after I took it out as well.

Attachments

• conv_297082.jpg
    conv_297082.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
  • conv_297083.jpg
    conv_297083.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • conv_297084.jpg
    conv_297084.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
  • conv_297085.jpg
    conv_297085.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back