My first O. Hummelincki

Ok so I think that due the lack of space and equipment to transport any rock back home, I'm just going to stick to collecting the flora/fauna that's on them instead. As for the sump, I have a small sump pump I was using for the 110, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough to push water back to the main tank. I'm going to set everything up later today and see how this works. If I'm successful, than I might just have another place to put an octopus. lol I told that to my wife, and she wasn't so thrilled about the idea. We've already agreed that when we move I'll get a room to myself devoted purely to aquariums.

Well just like I thought, Bubbles just needed to get used to her new environment. The past day or so she's been crawling from one side of the tank to the other, hiding in the upper rear corners. I think she's getting better as time goes by. She's slowly settling in.

Great news. The pump is strong enough to push plenty of water back into the tank. It's not as strong as I would like it, but it does the job. Also the little pipe rigging I did doesn't leak either so it's ready to be put into test. Now I just need some more water. lol

I think one thing that may be causing Bubbles to be so reclusive is the arrangement of the rocks. The entire time I've had her, I've always kept the rocks pushed back against one side of the tank or the other allowing her a clear view of the entire tank. I believe that by restricting her view I could have caused her to be uncertain of her surroundings. This is why I think she's been staying near the top corners of the tank when she was outside of her den. It gave her a better view of the entire tank which is what she's used to. I've re-arranged the rocks back to a more open environment to hopefully put her at ease. We'll see how it works.

The arrangement of the rocks seems to have been the issue. As soon as I turned the lights on this morning she crawled out and started exploring all of the rocks and behaving the same as she used to.

New arrangement of rocks.

Attachments

• conv_296697.jpg
    conv_296697.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 73
I just fed Bubbles a piece of shrimp for dinner. Of course she was inside of her den, but unlike previously she quickly without hesitation came out to retrieve the food. Once she had it, she swam back to her den, but this is a break through. Before I'd have to coax her out first and then she she would zig-zag her way back to her den. At least we're making progress.

I hope so. I know some of the behavior and body patterning she was displaying with the fish she wont display (unprovoked) in an empty tank. But I had to get rid of them anyways, because when I get a larger octopus it would just eat them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back