My first O. Hummelincki

Man I really have my work cut out for me today. I have to figure out a new design for the rock work as well as scrub the glass where the rocks were originally sitting and algae has accumulated and smooth out the sand so it will finally be even.

Here is the "Predator Tank" (as I shall refer to it now) as it is now. Keep in mind that this is just a "quick fix" so that I can get the current blowing around the tank again and clear up the bottom for the stingray. I lowered the water so that I could both fill the biocube and work on the SCWD that I purchased a while ago. The SCWD is not switching like it is supposed to, so I fiddled with the gears inside and I'm hoping that it will make it switch now. If not then at least it will be pushing from both sides instead of just one. As soon as I can get that going I can remove the power heads that are still in the tank.Bubbles and Lil' Buddy are still kind of in awe with all of the commotion from last night and this morning, but they both still look fine.

Attachments

• conv_296663.jpg
    conv_296663.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
Just made my first trip to the LFS for my water. I need about 30 gallons, but only have three 5 gallon buckets with me. Those dang gilly fish are the reason the mangroves keep getting uprooted. I placed the remaining four into the biocube, and they keep biting at them till they wiggle free and continue biting them as they float at the surface.

Something caused the power strip where the new sump pump was plugged in to burn. I tapped up the plug as a precaution with electrical tape, and we bought a new more high tech power strip. The pump was running fine on the old one, and suddenly when I run it on the new power strip, the tank can't drain fast enough. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

I think the issue is the SCWD. With it pushing out of both holes at once it's filling the tank much faster than it did when only pushing out of one hole. I also figured out that the reason it wasn't switching is because I'm missing a piece when I bought it used at my LFS.

I've solved the pump issue. I placed a makeshift device to replace the one I'm missing. So far I have not witnessed the SCWD switching, but it could take it a bit. The tank is not over flowing and I managed to get rid of the gurgling sound from the sump. Now I just need to get rid of the slurping sound from the overflow. Bubbles is being rather reclusive, only moving around when no one is in the room. She's eating well still so that's good. I'm hoping that she perks up soon. She's not being as active or as colorful now that I've moved things around and taken out all of the fish. I hope this is just the shock of it all. Only time will tell.

We are giving up. The same burning smell came out after about thirty minutes of running that pump. I guess it's too far damaged. So we've agreed that we'll wait until we move to start it all back up again. I'm able to maintain the water level at roughly an inch from the top, the tank is almost entirely sealed, and I still have strong power heads pushing the water inside the tank. At least this way the tank is absolutely quiet except for the steady hum from the power heads.

Bubbles and Lil' Buddy are doing fine. Though Bubbles is being a little more reclusive than normal, but still eating well. The corals in the biocube were looking a bit iffy when I got home, so I added more LR to help aid in the "seeding/cycling" process. The new "Predator Tank" looks a bit empty and drab now. The rocks are scattered amongst the sand and away from the walls. I've dimmed the lighting to power compacts and T8's. I think I'll be happier with the whole "species only" tank idea when I get a larger animal. I am happy that Bubbles has so much room to venture about. Just wish she'd use it now.

I've had Bubbles for about 5 months now. She seems to be pulling rocks in around her den. I'm not sure how much longer she will live. She's grown considerably since I got her. I've read somewhere that octopus can hold sperm for about 6 months. Is it possible that she could lay fertile eggs if she dens up and lays soon, given how small she was when I got her? I don't know if she was sexually mature at that size, but I don't think so. Anyways I figure it's just a shot in the dark.

Bubbles woke up this morning with us like always. I checked as much of the den as I could see but found no eggs. She still seems pretty lively and energetic. I got her sometime in May. You can see how small she was by referencing my first couple of pages of this journal. Any guesses as to how old she might be?

My wife told me today when I got home that Bubbles had been sitting inside her den all day. Maybe the sudden disappearance of the fish has made her worrisome. Maybe she thinks there is some large predator out there waiting to get her next like a little child and the boogy man lol. Though she seems to have no trouble coming out for food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back