My Blue Ring =)...

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
OK, these pics have been posted; movies to come later in the week. Thanks Tim!

tjw13

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
My girl =)...

Hope everyone likes the pics. Hermin looks like quite the cool octo Carol =). Hopefully I can find another occy here (either another blue ring or possibly a bimac) that will give me another friend like Molly. I might actually try a bimac this time around and see if I can't get it to hand feed (OUT of the question with molly lol). Anywho has anyone found a good place online to order one? Thanx. Tim

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Pictures are excellent! I particularly like the dark one, cause when you blow it up Molly's rings shine!!!

Yea, Hermin is a quite a charactor! He came from PA, That Pet Place. We made a special trip out there just for him!

Looking forward to the videos!

Carol :mrgreen:

tjw13

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Molly =)...

I would also like to make a few notes for anyone planning on trying a blue ring what I believe led to my ultimate success:

1) I made the Eclipse 6 FORT KNOX (with electrical waterproof tape and a paperweight on the lid... no need to worry about air though, plenty still gets in =). Avoiding the deadliness is goal #1.

2) I fed her sparingly (one or two ghost shrimp every few days). My hunch is most people aren't able to ignore the adorable begging habits and awesome hunting skills these animals possess and overfeed them to death (A friend of mine's bimac died because of this we think... he was named Jabba lol).

3) I set up this Eclipse SPECIFICALLY for her. Bigger occy's may make this harder, but for the pygmy's I highly reccomend spending the 50-70 bucks and just getting a completely sterile environment. This also makes waste management much easier. I also used a few Lava rocks (caves) and about an inch and a half of LIVE Fiji sand. I also left the water level a little low on purpose to prevent her from getting into the interior filter.

4) I changed the filter agent (the carbon pad) regularly (Every 10 days). This coupled with the feeding regiment and a careful 1 liter change when she was asleep kept the water immaculate despite the absence of a skimmer. At least with pygmy's I do not think you NEED a skimmer (also a safety issue with a blue ring). That and she was alone in the tank... except for a black molly (how Molly got her name) that she never ate (even though I was hoping she might just for some variety lol).

5) I played with her through the acrylic daily (waving my hand and tracing her movements). I think this helped when I came into the room unexpected. I am quite sure that in her latter months she recognized me.

6) Finally. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO. I am glad this site supports my view that these gorgeous creatures can be kept, but I also do not reccomend one to everyone. That is to say, respect them like a loaded gun. I would feel awful if someone heard my story and bought one on impulse only to get bitten... or even worse (a kid/dog =( ).

I hope this helps someone out there willing to try =). I do highly reccomend them as long as you don't get as attached to them as I did =)... I am glad her memory lives on. I miss her.

Tim

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Thanks for sharing so much Tim! :biggrin2:

I know that it has already been stated about the Blue Ring species before but I just want to emphasise that they are one of the World's most venemous animals and keeping one should be left to professionals with many years of experience. I would never recomend anyone keeping one as a pet even although they are frequently offered for sale in pet shops.

For some more info on Hapalochlaena Species please see...

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering1.html by Dr Roy Caldwell
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/octobite.html by Roland C. Anderson

tjw13

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Blue Rings as pets...

I couldn't agree more Colin. These are not for your typical goldfish keepers for sure. I again ONLY reccomend them to those with proper conditions and enough experience with dangerous aquaria to know how to respect them thoroughly. In a lot of ways they are MORE dangerous than loaded guns (loaded guns can't outthink a cage lol). I should also note that I have much experience in dangerous saltwater aquaria (Stonefish, Lionfish, Morays, and Leopard sharks... none of which really compare in deadliness, but it helps a lot with animal respect when you get stung by a 14" Lion lol) However (and I would never order one), I also often see them at the local pet store. The way I look at it, if you know what you are doing, you may be preventing an impulse buyer from making a huge mistake if you buy it before they do. Too many of these are ordered, and fall into inexperienced hands. If you know what you are doing (i.e. I actually READ FIRST BEFORE BUYING =), these can be rewarding cephs. Just my feeling =). Tim

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Thanks for that Tim,

It is a tricky subject to discuss and people have many opinions both about the environmental impact of them being collected and of course the small matter that these suckers can kill. However, acording to Mark Norman's 'Cephalopods A World Guide' the numbers of fatalities documented could be counted on one hand!

As you have had Triakis and Pterois as captives in the past I can tell that you are obviously better qualified than many to keep a Blue Ring.

I have been asked many times about keeping Blue Rings in the past, via email from shopkeepers and unaware members of the public; If you dont mind I may call on you for 1st hand experience if the need arises???? That okay?

Thanks again
C

tjw13

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Absolutely

As if everyone couldn't tell already, owning one has made me quite the Chatty Cathy about Blue Rings lol =). I am actually a proponent of preserving them and hope no one actually goes out of their way to order one just to have it. Again that is not to say if your local pet store already has one that under the right circumstances you should avoid it (again I must stress... under the RIGHT circumstances). I will gladly help anyone discern whether or not they can keep one, and/or help as much as I can with any questions a shop might have. While I am by no means an expert, I do feel fortunate to have had a much longer experience than most with this unique creature. Let me know. Tim

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Well said, you two. I've edited the language on the main page accordingly (thanks Colin).

LittleMatt

Cuttlefish
Registered
A woman from I think Berklee college did a study on Blue Ringed Occys. She would swim near them for a while, and then they would go and hide, after they hid, she'd find them again, and swim near it. This caused so much stress that they would die! I thought this was rather weird, but I believe she talks about it in a documentary.

Latest Posts