• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My Blue Ring =)...

Blue Rings as pets...

I couldn't agree more Colin. These are not for your typical goldfish keepers for sure. I again ONLY reccomend them to those with proper conditions and enough experience with dangerous aquaria to know how to respect them thoroughly. In a lot of ways they are MORE dangerous than loaded guns (loaded guns can't outthink a cage lol). I should also note that I have much experience in dangerous saltwater aquaria (Stonefish, Lionfish, Morays, and Leopard sharks... none of which really compare in deadliness, but it helps a lot with animal respect when you get stung by a 14" Lion lol) However (and I would never order one), I also often see them at the local pet store. The way I look at it, if you know what you are doing, you may be preventing an impulse buyer from making a huge mistake if you buy it before they do. Too many of these are ordered, and fall into inexperienced hands. If you know what you are doing (i.e. I actually READ FIRST BEFORE BUYING =), these can be rewarding cephs. Just my feeling =). Tim

Thanks for that Tim,

It is a tricky subject to discuss and people have many opinions both about the environmental impact of them being collected and of course the small matter that these suckers can kill. However, acording to Mark Norman's 'Cephalopods A World Guide' the numbers of fatalities documented could be counted on one hand!

As you have had Triakis and Pterois as captives in the past I can tell that you are obviously better qualified than many to keep a Blue Ring.

I have been asked many times about keeping Blue Rings in the past, via email from shopkeepers and unaware members of the public; If you dont mind I may call on you for 1st hand experience if the need arises???? That okay?

Thanks again
C

Absolutely

As if everyone couldn't tell already, owning one has made me quite the Chatty Cathy about Blue Rings lol =). I am actually a proponent of preserving them and hope no one actually goes out of their way to order one just to have it. Again that is not to say if your local pet store already has one that under the right circumstances you should avoid it (again I must stress... under the RIGHT circumstances). I will gladly help anyone discern whether or not they can keep one, and/or help as much as I can with any questions a shop might have. While I am by no means an expert, I do feel fortunate to have had a much longer experience than most with this unique creature. Let me know. Tim

A woman from I think Berklee college did a study on Blue Ringed Occys. She would swim near them for a while, and then they would go and hide, after they hid, she'd find them again, and swim near it. This caused so much stress that they would die! I thought this was rather weird, but I believe she talks about it in a documentary.

Hi, I am a new member and I was reading this series of posts about blue rings. I have recently been given a blue ring for my home tank. I am encouraged by tjw13's posts. Similar to Molly, my girl is all over the tank night and day, active as can be. I have never seen such activity from an octopus before. She is in an all encompassing 5 gallon eclipse tank, with a few pieces of live rock and sand. I have a species of Caulerpa happily growing and a few grazers. I have had her for almost two months. She is feed every other day a tiny shore crab, which she goobles up immediately.

I would like to hear some more of your care stories if you get a chance.
These are such fascinating creatures.

I have included a photo.

Wow Jill! That certainly is a good-looking octopus you have there. Thanks for sharing!

I definitely encourage discussion on this topic, but just want to reiterate the columns Colin referenced in his earlier post, since it really should be mandatory reading for anyone interested in blue rings:

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering1.html by Dr Roy Caldwell
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/octobite.html by Roland C. Anderson

Hi Jill
Thats is a nice looker! :smile:

i hope that you can share some more facts and stories about your octo over time. Tell us more.....

PS remember to add your octopus to our database when you get the chance 8)

cheers
Colin

Care tips =)...

Sounds like you have taken very similar steps. I wonder if the noise, or lack therof in an Eclipse tank has anything to do with the activity we both experience/d? At any rate I am sorry to say I can't offer any new tips, and it seems as if she already has a taste for shore crabs and I think getting them to eat is half the battle. I am jealous Jill :P I have not found anything close to Molly in the past year. Enjoy her while she is with you and take lots of pics :biggrin2: . Regards. Tim

Death

if you did get bit........

A) would you feel the bite????

B) would the death be very painful???

I am just curious, is it possible to make it to the hospital and get anti-venom shots??? can you buy AV kits for your home just like for snakes???

A bite would be... bad =(

As far as I have heard the bite is often times minute and rarely even felt. I would imagine the death to be very much like suffocating, as the toxin shuts down the respiritory system of the victim (NOT fun I'd think lol), and then paralyzes you. At any rate I believe the only procedure in the U.S. for treatment is CPR and breathing apparati. I also have heard that you have only a matter of minutes and that it starts with numbness in your hands. Perhaps the scariest part is that you remain fully lucid (i.e. until you pass out and die your brain, vision, and hearing work fine). On a lighter note I have also heard that Blue Ring's can deliver less lethal doses at their discretion if they are not trying to kill the victim. And on one final note these are not overtly aggressive animals and will probably only bite in the event that you poke, step on, or agitate them a bunch. As long as you know where they are and aren't silly/stupid, I would never imagine one hunting you down. :biggrin2:

ACTIVE BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS

I agree with Jill. I have observed the activity level of the blue ring. It has been close to 10 years since I saw two live ones in a local pet store, and I was impressed by them. They did not strike me as shy in the least. I have had two octopi in the past, but never a blue ring. If I had been set up for them at the time I would not have hesitated to buy them. I had previously seen preserved specimens at Hawaiian Marine Imports in Houston, Texas back in the 70's. These were not for public sale. The level of danger of these creatures are to be respected. In the past I have had lion fish and leopard sharks and never suffered injuries from them. It is important to understand and respect the creatures that one keeps in captivity.

Eric, were the 2 blue rings you saw at "Animal Jungle"?...just wondering because I'm originally from Virginia Beach and that's the only place I've ever seen carry octos.

Is this true but I read somewere (forget were :?)if you get bit and put very hot water over the bite it will slow the affects.
And if anyone knows were some good pics are of Blue rings in captivity I would love to see them.
JJ

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back