More about the Ceph Care Book, now released

Shanlyn almost bust a gut...she went looking for the illustration, and then saw the pic of Steve. Wonderful !

mine was waiting for me when I got home today. Looks great, but I don't get to read it till sat at the soonest due to molc genetics exam :cry:

I did like the SOS picture caption and :thumbsup:index:thumbsup:

Mine was delivered about 2 hours ago. It looks great! I've flipped through, and been skimming, reading a bit here and a bit there. :read: It looks like you've covered everything. I think there are a lot of public aquariums that could benefit from owning this book. Oh yes, loved the caption under Steve's picture. :roflmao:

I ordered my book from Amazon last week, and I am still waiting for it to arrive. Delivery is now showing as scheduled for next week. I am working on acquiring my first octopus. I have learned a lot from this site, but am really looking forward to reading this book. I am regretting not spending a couple of extra bucks to expedite the shipping.

Thanks everso much for putting this wonderful book together Colin and Nancy. My copy arrived a couple of days ago. It's a really nice quality item with lovely photographs and other illustrations. (Great Cthulhu painting Greg). Its most definitely worth the price, even if one doesn't own a pet ceph. I sincerely hope you sell it by the bucket load.

Congratulations, I hope you are both very proud - you certainly deserve every accolade on this forum, and many more.

Thanks to all of you for your positive comments!

As for Hummelinckis, we were not able to find enough definitive information to actually write up a species note.
The manuscript was finished by April, so all research and writing was done earlier. At the time, we were only beginning to see this species available to home aquarists.

However, you will find in the book a photo of dwhatley's Octane and a mention that he was most likely an Octopus hummelincki.

Nancy

Nancy;127924 said:
As for Hummelinckis, we were not able to find enough definitive information to actually write up a species note.
The manuscript was finished by April, so all research and writing was done earlier. At the time, we were only beginning to see this species available to home aquarists.

However, you will find in the book a photo of dwhatley's Octane and a mention that he was most likely an Octopus hummelincki.

Nancy

... and I am beginning to have some doubts about the id of what we have been calling O. Hummelincki. I know Nancy had thoughts early on and was trying to find definitive ID on the eye spot. I have seen this octo identified as filosus (renamed hummelincki) outside of TONMO (including a NOAA picture showing a keys reef but I cannot find it now to provide a link - very strange to look for photos on Yahoo and see other members photos as well as your own :mrgreen:), however, the description in Norman as well as the photo for filosus looks like my brooding (I hope) octopus, Serendipity. There are enough differences between Octane and Serendipity to imply either sexual dimorphism in this octopus or that there are two species. The false eye spot and coloration of the underside and tips of the suckers are considerably different. Additionally, there is a significant size difference (the female being tiny compared to an adult male). I would venture to say that Serendipity was not hummelincki except she is the one that matches the only formal descripiton we can find (Norman). Needless to say there are either two Caribbean Two Spot octos or the male and female of this species are identifiably different. Until more females come into the hobby, it will be hard to make a call.

Maybe Nancy and Colin will consider an octopus ID book next :sagrin:

ob;127505 said:
How immature of Kat :wink:

:mrgreen:

Just got our copies here - Steve found the caption all by himself apparently. :twisted: Haven't had a thorough look through yet but the pics are beautiful and I'm looking forward to it! Nice job, guys!

Thanks again, everyone!

It's nice to see that copies are making their way around the world.

Thanks to dwhatley, who wrote the first review of the book on Amazon.com!

Interesting to see that our book is offered new by 17 booksellers on Amazon.com, one even selling it for $53 (quite a markup).

Nancy

My copy arrived today. It's very hard to put down!!!! I have been reading it and enjoying the photographs for the last 3 hours in bed. It's almost 2 am. Thank you for putting together such an amazing wealth of information. I feel more prepared to have an octopus some day soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back