• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Maurice my octopus species??

pkilian

GPO
Staff member
The animal can for sure be stressed by having too many shrimps in the tank. In fact, the shrimps may actively attack and pick at the mantle of the octopus. I agree with tonmo's advice, your animal won't ever need more than 1-3 shrimps in the tank at a time.

Carbon won't do much to alleviate any negative symptoms that come from inking. You will need a protein skimmer to help with ink in the water but if you are able to work gently with the animal and prevent them from inking you may be able to get away without one.

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
I wonder whether Maurice seems to want to hide whenever I get to near to him?
Maybe because I have interrupted his 'silence' a few times? He still seems to be active at night time!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Each octopus has its own personality but I have found that spending at least an hour a day near the tank but not trying to interact with it. We keep our primary octo tanks where we eat so they see us every night at supper. I can't guarantee this will help but try it and see if you have the time. They are naturally shy creatures.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
It could have to do with the fact that his tank is in the basement. I just shot another photo.
I tried keeping an octopus in my basement tank, but I found it was hard to get enough time to socialize it as well as they do in the living room tank. We set up our bikes in the basement so we would be spend time down there on a regular basis, it’s helped with the rest of the fish!
Spending regular time with it will help it be more friendly!

pkilian

GPO
Staff member
I tried keeping an octopus in my basement tank, but I found it was hard to get enough time to socialize it as well as they do in the living room tank. We set up our bikes in the basement so we would be spend time down there on a regular basis, it’s helped with the rest of the fish!
Spending regular time with it will help it be more friendly!
Sedna has a good point here, I wonder if there is a correlation to the amount of daylight the tank gets and the amount of activity the animal exhibits? Could be a cool thing to experiment with.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Sedna has a good point here, I wonder if there is a correlation to the amount of daylight the tank gets and the amount of activity the animal exhibits? Could be a cool thing to experiment with.
I totally agree with that! A lot has to do with which species they are, but my upstairs octopus tank is near the window, and they usually end up pretty social!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I have wondered about light slightly differently. How much and how total is their dark time? I noticed with O. mercatoris, it seemed that never giving them full darkness (always with a place to hide and red lights on at night but not ever all lights off) seemed to help with training a reasonable and observation time. It appeared that if all lights were off during part of the night, that is the time the animals would come to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
offtropic

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak