• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Kraky my Octopus

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
Let me introduce you to my little Octopus Kraky. He just came to me two days ago and was (still is) pretty active and in good shape while arriving. Kraky is quite little approx. 15 cm/6 inches in total length. He seems to be diurnal for the most part. It's was sold as Octopus species unknown/uncertain. I think that it has many features of the vulgaris species. It's beige, brown to darkbrown in its main color. The fact that he is mostly day active and doesn't seem to dig or hide too much would also suit to the common octopuses.
I'm asking you about his possible species??
Kraky may come the Philippines or Indonesia. Here some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_223130.jpg
    IMG_20200510_223130.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200510_223124.jpg
    IMG_20200510_223124.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
He is pretty alright! I wish you and Kraky all the best!
I also believe it is not a vulgaris, its arms are indeed a bit thin and maybe also a bit longer than a common octopus. Moreover, the head seems more bulbous and the eyes more elongated...

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
I just had a look at the pics of the bocki species here and also others on the internet and on a book that I have. The color doesn't seem to match. Kraky is rather brown compared to the photos which rather show a red(ish) brown to a transparent consistence. Kraky's tentacles seem to be not as 'coarse' as the bockies seem to have. To be a vulgaris it may eat too less and its tendency to be a kind of dwarf octopus may be too high.
Again let me know further what you think about its species and other aspects of my little friend.

TheSeeker

Blue Ring
Registered
Another idea is Lilliput longarm octopus which has a very wide distribution but is also found in the Indian Ocean

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
His tentacles are everything else but short but not extremely long like O. Macropuses have. I used to have one.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak