[Octopus]: Maurice my octopus species??

Since my goal was to get a cycled tank I replaced one air pump with a water pump that on its end has this Eheim-Diffusor (thats how its is called in german) . My second airpump is still there and in use to run my skimmer. Right now I am not a home. Last time when I checked the PH I think it was around 7.

Do you have a sump? If so, consider putting anything that creates small bubbles in the sump and not in the main display. We have seen occasional problems with small bubbles ending up inside the mantle cavity and the octopus has no way to let that air exit.

If you are afraid that the tank is not cycled enough to handle the current resident then the best you can do is to increase your water change schedule. If you change out water once a week, then do the same amount twice a week. If you are only changing water out monthly (OK for some animals but NOT octopuses), then change to a weekly routine.

How much percentage of the water should be changed?

The most honest thing to do now is to let you know that Maurice has pased away already on Monday. I was with him at his last hour. He had a cramp and choked back and forth. I remember that I have changed maybe 10 - 15% of his water about a week ago. Well my personal thoughts are that he was maybe already getting old since that he was out of his cave for just maybe one or two hours a day. His color was pretty grey.
But I must repeat that my water test showed a very little darker yellow then the most yellow which shows 0,00 Nitrit. However I need to mention that the life prawn that I feed were all alive. So it didn't do any harm to them.
Well all this couldn't stop my octopus-addiction. I already ordered a new octo. It's probably a cynea. He may arrive on Tuesday. So I asking you now what can I do better.
I already changed some water. Is zeolith which is considered the most natural product for tanks harmful for Octos? I don't think so!?

I don't recommend using any chemicals to treat the water. Octopuses, like scaleless fish are more sensitive to additives meant to condition water. The better solution is to add more live rock. Since you have already ordered another octopus, be sure any live rock you add is fully cured and does not stay out of the water even in transport.

Cyanea are quite large and tend to roam so are not well suited for a home aquarium.

I have been told about the size of my new friend. He/she is around 20cm / 8 inches so not so big by now. They grow based on what they get food. The troutfish in the little creeks in the Black Forest also don't get as big as they could. My octo certainly will get enough food.

Well my intention was to start a new journal about my new octopus. Unfortunately I did not even have my new friend for 2 days. When he arrived at my place he seemed to be pretty week so he didnt even hold on to the bag. The water temperature of the bag seemed to be very low. Later I noticed that he couldnt hardly move his tentacles. About one hour ago he had passed away.
Now I wonder whether its maybe better to let them live where they are born . Further its a lot of money that could be spend otherwise. What do you think?
Eventually its the best to get a local octo species with a short transportation time.

Transportation and acclimation are the hobbyists dilemma. When trying new types of animals I usually set a 2 tries limit but will try a third time if there are extenuating circumstances that can be avoided.

Well my intention was to start a new journal about my new octopus. Unfortunately I did not even have my new friend for 2 days. When he arrived at my place he seemed to be pretty week so he didnt even hold on to the bag. The water temperature of the bag seemed to be very low. Later I noticed that he couldnt hardly move his tentacles. About one hour ago he had passed away.
Now I wonder whether its maybe better to let them live where they are born . Further its a lot of money that could be spend otherwise. What do you think?
Eventually its the best to get a local octo species with a short transportation time.
Not sure where you are located, but you’re in Michigan are usually don’t order octopuses during the winter months. Too much chance that they will suffer deep cold as they are traveling around.

I do not disagree! I appreciate the folks here who have been brave enough to take on this amazing hobby. It's an incredibly daunting task. Never tried it myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back