• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Mantis Shrimps smarter than Octos?

Cephkid

Sepia elegans
Registered
I'm not responding, because people here will yell at me. :mrgreen:

It actually depends on your definition of "smartest". Monogamous mating? Check. Individual recognition? Check. Cerebral evolution? Less-check........It all depends.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Cephkid said:
...and a type of spearer eats blue-ring octopus, as many spearers eat octos. Like I said, it depends.
True true.....but my money's with the octo (never mind the mantis ......octos can be more interlligent than spearers!!!! :biggrin2: )

J

Kinda like orangatangs and humans! Put them in a wrestling ring during a cage match and say bye bye human! But give em' both a book and the orangatang (scuze my terrible spelling) wont know what to do! LOL! Actually that had amlost no relevence to what we were just discussing.....

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
To answer that question we have to know what is your definition of smartness/intelligence. Also its hard to tell between instinct and intelligence. I'm going with the octo :heee: Cephkid, get an octo :wink: :biggrin2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustyn

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak