Mantis Shrimps smarter than Octos?

I'm not responding, because people here will yell at me. :mrgreen:

It actually depends on your definition of "smartest". Monogamous mating? Check. Individual recognition? Check. Cerebral evolution? Less-check........It all depends.

Kinda like orangatangs and humans! Put them in a wrestling ring during a cage match and say bye bye human! But give em' both a book and the orangatang (scuze my terrible spelling) wont know what to do! LOL! Actually that had amlost no relevence to what we were just discussing.....

To answer that question we have to know what is your definition of smartness/intelligence. Also its hard to tell between instinct and intelligence. I'm going with the octo :heee: Cephkid, get an octo :wink: :biggrin2:

Cephkid,

First off, in which book did you read this?

Nonhuman intelligence is difficult to gauge. The study of animal behavior only paints a limited picture of what an animal is thinking or experiencing. Most of the time, you have to look at the development of the brain and ganglia to get an idea of what the brain may be capable.

No offense intended, but I'm not sure why you lumped monogamous mating in with intelligence. While is very uncommon in invertebrates, its not that common in vertebrates either. If you think about it, its not even a good idea from a reproductive point of view.

Second of all, I would have to disagree wholeheartedly. Don't get me wrong; stomatopods have a massive pedal ganglion, and the ganglial development shown in the eyes and antennae are pretty impressive (I've just spent the better part of the day looking at slides of porcelain crab and Pandalus cross sections), but the brain structure of octopuses shows a great deal more development.

For example, octos have larger cranial nerves, and bundles of ganglia which form a three lobed brain. I don't know how much MRI information has been done on octos, but, there is evidence of brain activity including problem solving, individual recognition, and massive amounts of sensory processing. Also, the sheer amount of neurons and fine motor control you see in the cephalopod requires a lot of brain power. Inteligence is generally the by-product of this type of cranial development.

So what book was this, anyway?

Sushi and Sake,

John

I think we need Dr Roy Caldwell here...

There is a video out there called aliens from inner space / fastest claw in the west.. its a double feature and has octos and stomatopods, not comparing them but well worth it if you can find it...

C

Look on blueboard.com, there already are TWO "articles" on this.

Trying to say thay mantises are equal to octos ion an octo board, what was I thinking... :roll:

"equal to octos ion an octo board"
Hmmm...hmmm...what?

Speculating on intelligence is like tilting at windmills...all you can compare them to is your own intelligence (human) which is subjective at best...Mantis shrimps are smart enough to be successful, as are cephs...perhaps much smarter than Homo sapiens...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back