• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: LittleBit - O. vulgaris

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
umm, There is Cassy, Tatanka, Monty, Diego and LittleBit now in residence. Sadly, I will likely lose the first three all about the same time. Monty is blind, Cassy brooding and Tank (Cassy's brother) has become shy but is still eating and comes out to see us (but ducks behind the rocks if he thinks we are paying attention). Hopefully, a couple of Cassy and Tank's hatchlings will stay with us but there are only about 17 eggs still maturing.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Just when we thought he might start coming out, he has become super reclusive. I can't believe he is a full grown she and about brood. The weather has turned cold at night and I have turned off the heaters for the tanks so I am hoping that the cooler water is the reason.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Little Bit has been one of my favorites, but it is hard to keep track of all your octopuses!

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
He/she is a definite cutey but is still more reclusive than any of the others. I keep hoping we will see more of him again (we always saw eyes until he took the crab into his den, now we only see fast little arms.

Sadly, I will be losing three shortly so they will be easier to track.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Little Bit was fully out of his/her den waiting for supper tonight. This is a first and she stayed out long enough to swipe her food. This is only the second time I have seen full mantle length since she has been in the aquarium. I would guestimate she has doubled in size but the arms are too short to work with my initial species guess. We are still not sure if she is diurnal or nocturnal but leaning toward diurnal. Her red color is amazing. She can be brown but is typically a very colorful red and white sort of stripey pattern. She is VERY fast with her arms and her behavior is unique to the little band I have kept.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Everytime I think Little Bit is going to socialize she/he becomes reclusive again. Each forward step is longer and more pronounced than the last but then we only see those fast little arms grabbing food for a week.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
... and everytime I mention a behavior the octopus will do the opposite. Neal swears they have built in Wi-Fi and read our posts :wink:

Tonight Little Bit was fully out of her den and waiting for supper (so this is the 3rd time we have seen her full mantle after introduction to the tank). She even stretched out for Neal's hand and turned mostly white (a color we have not seen her display - much whiter than the acclimation pictures) and then a chocolate brown (normally she is the red in the above photos). Once she spotted her crab, swooped down on it and beat feet to her den though we did not see her again. No video sadly and next time Neal sees her out I will demand that he freeze in position until I grab the camera.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Little Bit either relocated her den or is on vacation while the maid cleans. I noticed P3 (red serpent star) in her den today so I searched to try to determine where Little Bit relocated her quarters. I hope she keeps this one as it is right out in front and open to viewing (if you sit on the floor :biggrin2:). Since she has been denning inside the LR I suspect she will find it too open though.

I am guessing Little Bit is about 5 months old now. This is strictly based upon her new found open curiosity. We have barely seen anything but her eyes and very quick arms at feeding time until this week. Over the course of the week she has become more and more daring and now insists on keeping the feeding stick and her grip is firm enough to allow her to choose when to give it up :biggrin2:

Normally Little Bit is not seen after being fed, however, tonight she interacted for a long time well after taking her crab. Oddly, she seemed curious about either the dog or the attention the dog received (Bailey is an Irish Wolfhound and is very tall so her head is about den height). Sadly, I missed a really great set of actions with the camera. While I was petting the dog she stealthily exited her den (I thought she intended to hide while we were not watching), came right up to the front of the glass and kind of skittered (the only way I know of to describe the odd movement) to an opening under the LR and then returned to her den from the backside to continue to watch us. Since she was still paying attention, I tried putting my fingers in the tank, expecting her to withdraw. I will have to admit that I call this video "Taunting the Octopus" but when she had enough she slipped into her den so I don't think I overstayed my welcome.

Answer to Find the Ceph:

Attachments

• conv_298367.jpg
    conv_298367.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 185
  • conv_298368.jpg
    conv_298368.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 177
  • conv_298369.jpg
    conv_298369.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 165

Forum statistics