Keeping an octopus(bimaculoides) in a 55g (newbie)

xyzner

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
ok.........I have some questions about certain inverts, are sea cucumbers ok? what about nudibranches, anybody ever try these? I think I am just going to keep my brittle star and sand sifter. The brittle star would not eat an octopus right? Also on my reef, I am just using tap water but we have a soft water unit. I should not worry about copper in the water as long as my corals and shrimp and other invertabrates have been doing fine for the past year right? My fluval 404 is constantly running activated carbon and this removes heavy metals so I guess I am fine for sure???

Are there any certain ways I should setup the live rock? I know that they need a rock free area for playing and hunting but when making the caves, should I make it small, or a large open cave where you can see inside it? (im going to have to look at the members photos for an idea! :biggrin2: )

xyzner

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Just thinking about another thing after reading.......... do bimacs tend to bite people? and do they have a certain type of venom? also I am having a difficult time finding pics of aquascaping.....

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi xyzner,

I'll answer your last question first. Yes, bimacs do sometimes bite their owners, either out of curiosity when they're young, or by mistake.

If you will go to Journals and Photos, in May you'll find a video of Inket biting Carol's daughter while being fed (and he seems to feel bad about it!) - also look at The Agent Bites.

The bite is not bad, something like a bee sting.

You're right, forget sea cucumbers and nudibranches.

I would definately test your water for copper. Octopuses are very sensitive to any copper.

A lot of people have posted tank photos - if you're patient and look back through the past postings, you'll find a lot. Yes, we usually leave some open area. Your octopus will grow, so you need to leave large and small caves. Make sure your set up with the rocks is sturdy, since even a small octopus is very strong and can move rocks.

Hope that helps!

Nancy

xyzner

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Ok, what about chocolate chip starfish and a blue tuxedo urchin? I think this is what im going with? Also I have these tiny snails in my tank and there are lots of them. Do you think a baby octo would eat these? They're about the size of 1/2 nassarius snail. :!: :?:

oscar

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
from what ive read, they usually leave snails alone but there are always the more inquisitive octos who go for almost anything i suppose

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
if you get a baby octo watch out for the brittle stars stealing their food!!! best to wait until the octo is bigger

Latest Posts