• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just set up my dwarf octo tank.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Your live rock doesn't really form any caves, as far as I can tell. You might consider a short length of PVC pipe or a small clay flowerpot turned on its side to make a small den.

Nancy

Lol, thanks alien4fish. I know that I need more LR. I have 4 reef tanks :wink:.

Nancy,

I'm going to go pick up some rounder, more porous pieces from my lfs, and maybe some tonga branch for him to play in, even though I decided on a bimac (if possible) and am using my 47 gallon now.

new 20gallon long tank for a new dwarf octo

i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Brock Fluharty;81581 said:
Well, looks like I may be getting a mercatoris after all. I think he would be very happy in a 47 gallon! How big of a tank would you need to keep 2 O. mercatoris?

Two tanks. :smile:

To be honest, it really depends on the particular octopus(s)...some get along, some don't. I find it easier not to risk it, and keep them one to a tank...unless you are going to breed them ?

tank balla;89275 said:
i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:

How long has your tank been set up? You will need a protein skimmer to keep up with the amount of waste that octopus is going to produce.