• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just set up my dwarf octo tank.

new 20gallon long tank for a new dwarf octo

i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:

Brock Fluharty;81581 said:
Well, looks like I may be getting a mercatoris after all. I think he would be very happy in a 47 gallon! How big of a tank would you need to keep 2 O. mercatoris?

Two tanks. :smile:

To be honest, it really depends on the particular octopus(s)...some get along, some don't. I find it easier not to risk it, and keep them one to a tank...unless you are going to breed them ?

tank balla;89275 said:
i just got a new 20 gallon long tank and ordered a dwarf octo i have 20lb of live rock and LOTS of places to hide and a PCP pipe for the octo to exporle in. right now i have aqueclear filter but it is carppy and going to up grade to a better one but for now that is what i have the octo is not in it yet but going to pick him up this thurday and it is monday. i am going to get a chiller for my size tank. please this is my frist octo and i really want it to live i will set up pics later. thx:smile:

How long has your tank been set up? You will need a protein skimmer to keep up with the amount of waste that octopus is going to produce.

Ok,

Is there any way you can delay getting your octopus? Your tank should really cycle for three months so that you can build up a healthy colony of bacteria to handle the waste that your octopus will generate. Do you have another tank already set up that you could house the octopus in temporarily while your tank cycles?

i cant delay the shipment but i have purple up will that help? and yea but it is a 45gallon reef i have 1 eel,2 clownfish,1damsis and ALOTS of coarls,.............even tho i think it would be hard 4 me to get him after in the reef tank so. anywayz i have alot of really alive rock and live black and white sand really nice dp u think i do be able to put him in the tank anyway?

tank balla;89345 said:
i cant delay the shipment but i have purple up will that help? and yea but it is a 45gallon reef i have 1 eel,2 clownfish,1damsis and ALOTS of coarls,.............even tho i think it would be hard 4 me to get him after in the reef tank so. anywayz i have alot of really alive rock and live black and white sand really nice dp u think i do be able to put him in the tank anyway?

What is purple up? It is not recommended that you put a delicate animal like an octopus into a tank before it is cycled. Have you tested for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia? You are going to have to watch water parameters carefully. You may have to do frequent water changes.

Purple Up is a coralline algae booster, it is not going to help with the growth of bacteria, which is what you need to control the waste in your system. Cycling the tank for three months lets the bacteria that you need grow and multiply. You will need to do frequent water changes and if you haven't yet, get a protein skimmer. You are going to need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back