• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Just got my first octopus!!!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He is currently acclimating, and is 4" from arm to arm. He is sweet! I have a 2.5g hex tank inside of my 55g so I can spot feed him easier, etc. I ordered him from marinedepotlive.com. I needf you guys to help me name him! Here are the pics!!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He was swimming around in the bag, and wasn't sressed at all! They even included a little crab for him to snack on during the trip here. I would highly recommend marinedepotlive.com!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
He is already out and about as you can see, and I am really hoping that he will stay like this. I will try feeding him tomorrow. I am very excited!!! And yes I know there is a Clown Trigger in there. I think I may have just sold him, so the octo will be by itself! Thanks guys!

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Well here are some updated pics, but I am wondering if you guys think this is too much stuff in there?

******** Now in the third pic, on top of his head, he has something that looks like a scrape or something like that. But he was in the back with a hermit crab, so I was thinking the hermit maybe picked at him before it was eaten, or is it just some other type of mechanical injury? I am mainly wondering if any of you think it may be something bad? Thanks

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks to me like you're giving him a lot of enrichment. THey might be like little kids, however, and benefit from having their toys swapped every so often. Helps keep kids from getting bored with their toys, and it might work that way with octos, too.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Do you have another tank you could put the trigger in until he's gone? I think that even the small octopus might be able to overcome the weight of those shells if he decided he wanted to.

Dan

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHF8

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak