Ichiban - O. hummelincki

I guess I should finish off the story. I'll try to get to the video today as well. So I went back to the aquarium to see if he wanted to play some more but he was to deep in the aquarium and I could not reach him. The next day he has been pretty shy since them but I saw this same behavior in Legs and Waldo. I have found that octopus will be bold and playful for a few days then they will be shy and recluse for a few days. I had some contact yesterday when I fed him bit it was just a quick touch almost as if to confirm it was me the he proceeded to eat his shrimp and ignored me.

Try to remember to record the number of days until he is interactive again. We see this soooo often but don't have a accurate feel for how long between the super interactive first day (usually the longest activity period of all), the shy period that follows and then the beginning of day-to-day interaction. I keep thinking it is a key to how they remember things and is similar for all octopuses.

That would be an interesting study. We could probably get everyone on tonmo to participate in that. We should really try to collectively study thing like that. Have like a few different experiments at a time that the site is doing as a whole. Just a thought!

Ichi is doing terrible right now. His color is off, his breathing is labored and he is sitting low on teh glass close to the substrate. I'm keeping my finger crossed but it's not looking good. He ate a live shrimp for the first time about a week ago, and had not eaten since. The past week he has been in his den til later and and later each day.
:fingerscrossed:

I scooped him into a small critter keeper and it looks grim. I actually think he is already dead, but I haven't given up on him just yet. While scooping him up in the critter keeper I saw what looked like two cuts/lesions on the end of his mantle.

RIP Ichiban
:angelpus:

Well I'm confused on this one, Ichi was clearly killed by large crab that was in his tank. He has damage to his mantle and three arms. The Damage to his mantle matches the size and shape of the crabs claws. It was one of the Blue crabs that I feed Pen that I placed in the tank a long time ago. The crab was in there so long that his claws had grown back. i did not remove him because he seemed to e a very effective cleanup crew and I really never thought he would injure an octopus, I just assumed Ichi would get Large enough to eat him.

I have some media of Ichi I never pulled off the camera I will post it later.

If Ichi was ill, the crab may have attacked after the fact. It is always a very hard call when cleanup crew (or potential food) attack an octopus. This is our second recording of (the first being a Bahama starfish) a hummelincki possibly meeting it's demise with tank animals that are not typically suspect.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back