Ichiban - O. hummelincki

Now you hve me worried about his eyes.

ichi4.jpg

ichi5.jpg

If they match, I am assuming it is not damage but it is definitely not a shape we have seen/noticed. More a curiosity than something to worry about I think but I PMed Roy to ask if he has seen this shape before and if he thinks it might be significant for species ID. You DO seem to get the wierd ones :biggrin2:

definitely looks like a hummelincki, isn't it characteristic of them to crawl on the glass in a sort of twitchy motion? Great video by the way!

We have had a lot of observation of it appearing like hummelincki get "stuck" on the glass (as well as acrylic) when they first enter the tank. None of the other species have been reported to do this jerky motion and it goes away after awhile.

I assume it has something to do with their suckers (but wonder why no one sees it on other species) and the smooth surfaces. I did not see it on Monty during his first observed wall crawl (acrylic) but it was very evident on the two older males that I have kept. I don't remember recording it for the two small females though.

Ichiban is awesome he slowly warming up to my presence. We have made contact a few times. He touched my finger while feeding, then another time I stuck my finger in the water next to him and just held it there, he explored my finger for a second then moved away. and most recently he grabbed my finger with four arms and tried to tug a few times then just let go and just sat there. pretty typical stiff so far.

Ichi eating a shrimp on a stick

WOW! for the last 30 minutes or so , Ichi and I have been been playing with each other and having a ball. I turn his light off between 7:30 and 8:00pm every night. So I went over to his tank and he was front and cent on the glass. By now he is usually he is in his den. We played follow the finger for a bit then he moved up to the surface. I went for it and stuck my finger in the tank about half way into the water. He immediately came dancing over and investigated. He felt my finger for a bit then retreated and just observed then he came dancing back over and grabbed my hand. He tugged a few times, like they usually do, then let go, and watched again for a second. This time I moved my finger closer to him while he was watching and he grabbed on again. Now as you guys know i REALLY dont want to be bitten but I was feeling confident enough that I let him pull my finger all the way into his webbing and I think VERY close to his mouth....Nothin, no bite! He held me close for the longest two minutes of my life, then he crept up my hand a little and just seemed to chill. We stayed like that for a little bit, then I pulled back some and he just slid off my hand. He looked round a bobbed his head a little then crawled over to the corner past my finger. I decided to push it a little more and slowly moved my finger over and put my other four in the water, now holding my hand like a paddle I moved it over him and cupped it. I made a little den for him with my hand. He slowly grabbed all four of my fingers, blew his jet a little and just stayed there. At this point my arm was really tired so I slowly pulled it out as he let go. I leaped over to my computer to tell you about it...Oh JOY!

He is still sitting in the corner, I think he wants more action...I'm going back for more....

I got some on video. but that tank is really high up, and not only is it hard to reach in the tank and film but I get a ton of reflections from the room. I'll see what I can use of the footage.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back