I can't Believe it...

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
If I came off as being "elitist", I am certainly sorry. I know very little about the captive maintenance of cephs.

I just disagree with it. I think they should be left in the ocean.

Captive breeding, such as is being done by several Tonmo members, is just great...there is no damage done to wild populations, and those of you who do like to keep them in tanks have the ability to do so, and enlarge our perception of these fascinating animals.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
We get calls all the time from people wanting to keep this that or the other (often highly impractical) but we are NEVER rude nor do we rant. I can be quite firm, and I usually try to get a "feel" for the caller's experience and keenness and go from there, to just rant is not exactly professional behaviour and certainly isn't educational!

J

I think many of you are being far too generous to the aquarium employee, and forgiving his bad behavior because his heart was in the right place (a desire to protect animals and the environment). We each have passionate beliefs of one kind or another, but I think we are obligated to be respectful, or at least civil, to those who disagree with us, and also to make sure that our conclusions make rational sense. The notion that cephs can't be kept in home aquariums without hurting the animal and/or the environment is, zealous and irrational. If, hypothetically, a young woman asked a doctor for information about abortion, and the doctor responded with the same degree of condemnation that Kharn got from the eco-zealot at the aquarium, should we "see both sides" and fail to condemn the doctor? We can educate, advise, plead, or persuade, but to "chew up and spit out" should be off limits. Deeply held beliefs shouldn't excuse mistreatment of people, and shouldn't protect irrational beliefs from criticism.

I think the aquarium worker that attacked Kharn was a self-righteous jerk, and that his conclusion that people who keep cephs [no matter how responsibly] are "destroying our oceans" is dogmatic drivel.

jellyman

O. vulgaris
Registered
Some people just think they are more rightous then all the rest of us. Others simply are too absorbed with themselves to understand that their point of view is not always the best or most popular point of view. It sounds like this person fits into one of those catagories.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Well, I disagree with the keeping of wild cephs in aquariums, but I tend not to rant and rave.

Too much.:old:

cthulhu77;124593 said:
Well, I disagree with the keeping of wild cephs in aquariums, but I tend not to rant and rave.

Too much.:old:[/QUOTE

Thank you for not ranting, that's just the kind of civility I was advocating.

I think that in my case, keeping an octopus will have a net positive effect on the local population. I used to happily bag octopus when I was out lobster diving, and they ended up on a plate :shock:. Now, after having kept a local octopus at home and observed it long term, Iwon't be eating any more of them.

I've also read that unlike tropical reefs, which have limited nutrient input, temperate west coast intertidal ecosystems are limited by the availability of space, and vacancies are quickly filled. The idea is that, up to a certain point (huge commercial fishing pressure for example), removing an octopus from the system simply makes room for another one to take its place, and has no effect on the population.

Unregulated collection of cephs (or anything) for the commercial pet trade makes me uneasy, but I support well regulated collection, and self-collection, of abundant species for home aquariums.

Oh, and I'm planning to keep a manatee in my bath tub, can anyone tell me what they eat?

Latest Posts