• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Lost arms

Sorry about your octopus. The octopuses I started off with were pygmy octopuses, which weren't too hard to care for. When your octopus lost some arms, that could have also been from stress, which can cause octopuses to eat their own arms sometimes. Just an idea, but the crab is probably more likely if you have the right living conditions. Again, I'm really sorry that your octopus didn't make it and I hope you'll be able to get another one soon :smile:
squirrel1

Thanks, Squirrel1, I should have started with something easier to keep with a higher chance of survival. I will most certainly try again, DWhatley has some good advice. To DWhatley: I did some research on the aculeatus, or algae octopus, all I could learn was that it is a small, diurnal breed with complex mating habits that spends a lot of time on land. Is this a good option for a pet that will be in water all the time? It's a beautiful animal, I'd like to ask Steve if he could get one for me, do you have any other insight regarding keeping the aculeatus as a pet?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
I suppose “a lot of time” is relative but to D’s point I’ve not heard about cephs thriving out of water. Only during tidepool foraging (pretty brief I think) and tank escapes, which unless rescued, ends in death. I recall one story where an octo made it all the way out of an open front door but that was it.

I got that from Wikipedia, so consider it disregarded. "Aculeatus has been described as "the only land octopus",[1] because it lives on beaches, walking from one tidal pool to the next as it hunts for crabs. Many octopuses can crawl short distances on land when necessary, but no others choose routinely to do this." Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read right now.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Sorry to come late to the party! I highly recommend both aculeatus and briareus to beginners, and pros alike. Both species do well in captivity and usually prove to be very social animals. Aculeatus tend to be more diurnal, but briaraius will conform to crepuscular hours in a home setting. Either type of octopus will bring you hours of joy!!!

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak