• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

RIP Schnitzel

Hello everyone,
It’s been some time since I last posted a thread, so I thought I might catch all of you up on what’s been going on with my aquarium. First of all, happy world octopus day to everyone!
Anyway, Schnitzel, my Abdopus aculeatus, passed away a while ago. He was in the back of the tank on the filter, but the water conditions were all great, so it seems that either it was a natural death or, more likely, as he had to squeeze through the intake slits, curiosity got the best of him and he died from the lack of water on the filter. Now I am changing the filter setup in the back of the tank and attempting to surround it with filter floss, which I hear that octopuses don’t like to touch.
I am waiting for another octopus to get in from Odyssey Pets, hopefully another algae octopus, because from my experience they are the most active and interactive small octos (out of the species I’ve kept, of course).
I recently went to Georgia Aquarium, just came back a few days ago. Have any of you been there? It’s an awesome, huge place. I was super lucky when we went to the Georgia Aquarium the first night. The GPO was super active. Unlike a lot of GPOs in aquariums I’ve been to, this one had a HUGE habitat with lots of rock work, swimming area, and even giant kelp. Also got to feed and pet a dolphin behind the scenes, but I won’t go into that too much because I’m going to keep this octopus related :smile:
Also, I ordered the book Octopus, Squid, and Cuttlefish by Roger Hanlon, and it looks super helpful in determining a cephalopod’s species. But I ordered it at the beginning of summer, and since then the price has increased from $17 USD to $36 USD and the shipping has been delayed twice, this time to January.
Although I’m probably getting the next octopus from Odyssey Pets, do any of you know a supplier who has small octos in stock?
I’ll be posting a lot more once I have my next octo, and happy world octopus day, (again!)

Squirrel1

Happy Octopus Day @Squirrel1! Origins: international ceph day

Thank you for the update on Schnitzel - we're sorry for your loss. :sad: Thank you for sharing his life with us! And also thanks for the insight with the filter.

Good luck with your next octo! We'll be interested in hearing how the filter floss works out.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back