Going to have Babies!!!!

stdawt12

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Well this morning there were a couple hundred swiming in my tank. They haven't all hatched yet. The mother is still guarding the remaining eggs. The Reef Bugs still haven't arrived hopefully today!!

dutchcourage

GPO
Registered
I would like to help him with these babys are they to small to eat live brine when they are born just to get something in there stomachs??I know they cant live off brine but maybe to hold them over for a day?

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Some will probably eat each other. They don't eat phytoplankton - that's plants. Probably won't accept anything frozen. Could you offer to give some to anyone in the area who would take a few to put in a more mature tank?

Nancy

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
superwaterguy52;80683 said:
How did you manage to get your bimac to lay eggs? I heard it was really hard to breed them in captivity.

The hard(est) part isn't the breeding or egg-laying, it's raising the hatchlings to adults, unfortunately.

dutchcourage

GPO
Registered
superwaterguy52;80683 said:
How did you manage to get your bimac to lay eggs? I heard it was really hard to breed them in captivity.

Most of the time they come in already gravid if you get a older female:wink:

Indiana OCHO

Blue Ring
Registered
Babies

I am 7 years old and live in Indiana. My mother has been reading to me about the babies you have on the way. We have been studying the Ocean in my classroom and since my mom has kept an octopus before she is going to set up an aquarium for one in our classroom.

I am still learning about them but I think I would separate the babies in order to keep more of them alive. Good Luck. Can you post pictures of the eggs and babies?:vampyromo

Indiana OCHO

Blue Ring
Registered
Dumb Question?

About your babies, (my daughter listed the earlier post) This may sound like an incredibly dumb question, but how did she become pregnant? What I mean is did you get her when she already had fertalized eggs? Do they carry the fertalized eggs for a while before they release them? Or did you intentionally place her with a male in order for them to reproduce? I am totally curious and wishing you the best of luck.