• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

flamboyant cuttlefish

If you have any questions i'm good with the adults.

I love how they tell you when they're hungry.. Amazing animals.

Babies however - FML..

Love how someone said people can't get the eggs - i'm inundated and so far no offers in the UK from anyone that wants them!

Hello,

TomH, yours are oooo beautiful! Congratulations on keeping such jewels, I'm sooo jealous! :wink: How are they doing now?
Do you still feed them with live shrimps, or did you manage to propose dead catch?

Is anyone has an extended experience on Metasepia? I'm looking for life expectancy especially... some websites say 1 year, some 18/24 months, but no real documented experience on extended time... would really like to hear about it :wink:

Many thanks!

I have had them 12-18 months. It depends on the temperature you keep them at, food availability, etc.

If you have any questions i'm good with the adults.

I love how they tell you when they're hungry.. Amazing animals.

Babies however - FML..

Love how someone said people can't get the eggs - i'm inundated and so far no offers in the UK from anyone that wants them!

If you are looking at providing eggs in the uk. I would be potentially interested

Quick update - hatch lings 6-10 due overnight now. Others are growing but not visibly feeding yet or being cannibalistic, have a plan to darken the breeder boxes's size so they can identify and catch prey easier tomorrow.

National aquarium in Plymouth is having some of the eggs on Wednesday and if they have success will be giving me a few adults back and creating a display for them. Also been kind enough to give me a supply of mysis and some education on species selection and culturing.

For anyone wanting a laugh - after offering the London aquarium some eggs they came back with the following, when you read that bear in mind they live 12-18 months and grow to 4 inches long. Also the only aquarium i'm aware that has a successful breeding program is Monterey Bay in California (their exhibits are insane if you ever get the chance to go!).

We appreciate the time you have taken to write to us. Unfortunately this time we are unable to take your fish. We do have some of this species on display but our tanks are completely full of them and they are all donations from members of the public. The surplus of this species is sadly a big problem in our industry today as many of them were bought very small with the owners not knowing how long they would live and how big they would grow. You could try some of our sister Sea Life aquariums to rehome the animal or the London Zoo or Bristol Zoo aquariums as they both display this fish. For more information on this problem and what you can do to help please visit Big Fish Campaign - Promoting Responsible Fishkeeping

Had to educate the guy who's now said the relevant departments are looking into it... (made me giggle at the thought of a marine biologist reading his reply to me!)

LOL, clearly a canned letter used by the lowest level of the admin staff. Still, you would think they would be instructed to look up the species being offered and pass the info upwards if it turns out to be something unusual.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back