• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Flamboyant Cuttlefish

CPayne;171542 said:
More than likely DWA. I don't think that the remodel of the Dallas Zoo aquarium in Fair Park is done yet and the Fort Worth Zoo I don't think has the facilities to take on something like that on the spur of the moment like a raid.

If I remember correctly the aquarium at fair park has finished, and as far as I know the Fort Worth zoo does not have the means to care for them. The DWA recently had some, but received them straight from a collector to my knowledge.

There is a whole lot of speculation going on in this thread. I am a little uncomfortable with feeding the rumor mill if we don't have any actual information. Reputations of LFS can be damaged by this kind of speculation. No cuttles are illegal to own at this point in the US, and I am pretty sure there is more to this story about a 'raid' on an LFS. I have been asking industry people in TX but so far, no one has heard anyting.

Thales;171560 said:
I am pretty sure there is more to this story about a 'raid' on an LFS. I have been asking industry people in TX but so far, no one has heard anything.

Same here, I am kind of sorry I said anything with out having more information. I looked to see if there were any news feed on it but came up empty. I am starting to doubt what the guy at Fish Gallery said.

DWhatley you're right there are currently no cephalopod's on the red list, as I've checked with UK border control (we have imports going on through the aquarium that I work for). Flambouyants are particuarly hard to ship mainly due to their temperament (they get pissed off very easily) and keeping the temperature constant in the bags. We are able to get them here in the uk but they are a special order. As for breeding of bandensis I'm not sure if it is similar to officinalis in the fact that if you don't keep introducing new individuals that you get a reduction in size of each generation. Anyway that's just my two cents

I'm sort of curious as to whether this is for a professional aquarium - the sort that has an educational mission and lets people in to look at the animals - or a home aquarium.

I'm sorry but I have lost track of what this thread is evening talking about anymore. What exactly are you trying to ask neurobadger, or better yet to whom is your question directed?

skywindsurfer, I think the questions - and OB's disappointment - were directed at the original poster of the thread, who seems to be wondering where they can get a flamboyant cuttlefish or a blue-ring octopus.

How official, exactly, is our stance on people who go 'Herp derp I want to keep this exotic, poorly-studied cephalopod species and I'm not a lab or professional aquarium and I don't know what I'm doing'?

I mean, we're no law enforcement agency, but our advice is based on actual insight and experience; practice based credibilty should count for something, right?

Again I'm sorry, but what is 'Herp Derp' exactly? I agree with all of you though that the care of animals such as these should be left to the well trained, dedicated, and professional aquarist.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back