• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

First inking from octopus

I caught my octo out tonight and when he saw me he jetted off and let out a really small thin thing of ink. It seemed to dissipate instantly. I have a protein skimmer in the system for this tank (30 gallon). He is a really tiny guy. I put a pic for reference..Should I worry about it and change the water or will a very small amount be ok until my next change in a few days?
20201121_223652.jpg

It should be ok! It’s always a bit unsettling the first time you see it, but as you said, it was thin and dissipated right away. It probably wouldn’t hurt to do your water change today, though- if you can!

I did see him the day after this post so I dont think the ink affected him at all. However, I have not seen him come out the past couple of nights. I have been off of work the past week and have had the lights on where his tank is a lot later so I'm thinking (hoping) he changed up his schedule because I changed up mine. I guess its a hard thing to tell everything is alright when he hides a lot.....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back