• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in Taiwan

leeyihsin

Hatchling
Registered
Hey! :biggrin2:
It's really excited to know that so many people are interested in keeping cuttlefish around the world.

I got my first cuttlefish egg mass in April this year.
4 months later (now), 3 of them are still alive.
Their body size are about 10cm now.
There are about 10 species in Taiwan.
It need more time to tell who these little guys are.

I have recored the egg's development and juvenile's growth.
:welcome: to check them on the website!
http://spaces.msn.com/members/leeyihsin/
(although many chinese character inside,i try to add English on the pictures and hope u can enjoy it~ :lol: )

Mikey

Wonderpus
Registered
Excellent!! Very nice to see your pictures.

I really really like the flamboyant cuttle too - is this yours?

If I was to take a guess at the identification of your babies, I'd probably say Sepia Aculeata, just from the markings of 3 circular markings on the picture where the cuttlefish is white.

I'm no identification expert though, and am only looking at this with the book Cephalopods - A world Guide borrowed of Colin!!!)

Can you give more information on your complete cuttlefish set ups?

leeyihsin

Hatchling
Registered
yes! The flamboyant cuttle are mine. :biggrin2:
It's easily to see them in June here (diving).
I try to take some individuals back to my tank.
Most of them are females, and I lost them after they laying eggs.
The babies are hatched BUT not survival at all. :cry:
In my experience, it is more difficult to keep them then the cuttlefish.

leeyihsin

Hatchling
Registered
Mikey said:
Excellent!! Very nice to see your pictures.

I really really like the flamboyant cuttle too - is this yours?

If I was to take a guess at the identification of your babies, I'd probably say Sepia Aculeata, just from the markings of 3 circular markings on the picture where the cuttlefish is white.

I'm no identification expert though, and am only looking at this with the book Cephalopods - A world Guide borrowed of Colin!!!)

Can you give more information on your complete cuttlefish set ups?

I have also read about the "3 circular markings" pattern of S. aculeata. :biggrin2:
BUT as u can see on my web, their parrent do not look like the S. aculeata. They have big size (45cm above). :shock:

a rabid squid

GPO
Registered
man, someone should start a business catching and exporting eggs. i would try breeding flamboyants in a heartbeat.