Cuttlefish in a pool!

But the odds are that his "saline pool" did not meet the requirements for keeping the cuttles. The pool most likely wasn't kept cool enough, and the "partiers" probably harassed the poor things, and swam with them, and poured beer into the pool, etc. When people get drunk...well, you know.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
I'm assuming that the "saline pool" was a swimming pool? If so then it probably contained chlorine to keep it looking pretty, not nice to live in I should think.

J

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Jean;97575 said:
I'm assuming that the "saline pool" was a swimming pool? If so then it probably contained chlorine to keep it looking pretty, not nice to live in I should think.

J

There's some weird trend around here of using "saline pools" instead of "chlorinated pools" lately... It's not clear why they think salt water will be as effective as chlorine or bromine at killing pathogens; "safe for swimming" seems to be at odds with "appropriate salinity for cuttles"-- from this link: http://www.salinepoolsystems.com/learn_more.htm (take with a grain of salt [sic] as it's a sales pitch) it sounds like it's way less salt than marine levels, and there's a device that splits the NaCl into just Cl somehow (I didn't read far enough to see what happens to the sodium part) providing chlorination in some "better" way. I would hope that if one were putting cuttles in, one would turn off the salt-splitting gadget and leave it long enough for the chlorine to outgas, and get the salinity up to seawater. However, it'd still be an uncycled, unfiltered (albeit large) tank, so it wouldn't be healthy for them for long...

ok first of all i know several people with these saline pools....

the salinity is only around .001 not even close enough to keep saltwater inverts including cuttles alive...

second... they also add alot of other chemicals that keep the algea down that kills everything including frogs so i doubt that a cuttle could have survived...

so in my opinion stupid waste of money and a perfectly good cuttle... next time your dads friend wants to do something like that just have him send them to me instead

Opcn

GPO
Registered
If the guy really is a cuttle breeder he knows all this, also a cuttle fish would not survive long in a fresh water sytem, like they would look half dead after 5 minutes.

Brock Fluharty;97573 said:
But the odds are that his "saline pool" did not meet the requirements for keeping the cuttles. The pool most likely wasn't kept cool enough, and the "partiers" probably harassed the poor things, and swam with them, and poured beer into the pool, etc. When people get drunk...well, you know.

well there were some kids at the party. so i don't think the adults would be so reckless as to get wasted. they did swim with them though.

also mabe i should clarify. the guy who had the cuttles at his party was not the breeder. he bought the cuttlefish from a friend of my friend's dad. then invited my friend and his dad and the breeder

We've established that it's a saline pool though.

If you're trying to make the point that it was high enough salinity for them, there are several other risk factors in this situation. Contact the guy, ask him what happened, then we'll figure this out without making assumptions...