• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in a pool!

There was (and still is in some places) in NZ a tradition of cooking rock lobster by dropping them live into a pot of boiling water on the premise that they didn't feel pain. This barbaric practice is, on the whole, on the wain although I believe some die-hards still use it. The animal has a sensory nervous system which reacts to "unpleasant stimuli" therefore in my mind should never be treated in anyway other than humanely, I would prefer that all our meat animals should be treated as such.

BTW someone mentioned (can't find where) that we have the teeth of an herbivore, we don't, we have the teeth of an omnivore, we lack both the extreme canines of a carnivore and the extreme flat grinding molars of an herbivore, we also lack the gut bacteria of an herbivore!!! Thus we are designed to eat a mix of foods.

Oh and no I don't eat cephs.....I can't stand seafood......and I'm not a vegetarian (I'm allergic to legumes and couldn't get a properly balanced diet as a vegetarian or vegan)

My :twocents: !

J

Don't forget that matters can always get more complicated. Here's an example :

I like spiders because I don't like flies and the other things they keep down.
However I'm mildly arachnaphobic and the little suckers uttterly freak me out.

So:
I will normally happily leave them alone to climb over the walls and ceiling. If I really want to remove one (probably because it's big) I'll use paper/dustpan/etc.
BUT, if one should happen to drop on me or I suddenly discover ones sitting on my shoulder it's life expectancy becomes very, very low. I feel no guilt when this happens.

Am I acting ethically? No freaking idea.

Now what if this was a more intelligent (depending of how you define intelligence) species like a cuttle (I'm sure some people must be freaked out by them)?

I stepped on a scorpion when I was a child. It felt like my foot had been slammed on with a large hammer. However when my uncle discovered what had stung me, I begged him not to kill it. My fault for stepping on it. It had merely defended itself, as nature had embedded the instinct in it to do.

I laugh at people who call snakes and bats and spiders and the like "evil". They all serve a higher purpose than most of those people want to understand. It's often not those creatures who impose threat upon us, but quite the opposite. At the Dallas aquarium the other day there were a group of girls chattering about "I hate snakes!" and I asked them if they like rodents. Of course they looked at me puzzled.

In a matter of self-defense I'd say "survival of the fittest"... I used an insect bomb in my garage once I found a Black Widow with an eggsack attached to my garage wall. There are too many cracks and crevices for them to live without me knowing about them, and I'm not going to risk my own nor my girlfriends, or our dogs being bit by a highly venomous spider. Had it been any other spider (with the exception of Brown Recluse) I would have allowed it to stay. I find this no different than using heartworm preventative on my dogs that also kills fleas and ticks.

That of course is a discussion of threat and safety, and as far as I'm aware, Cuttles aren't any threat to our safety, and if they are, it's because we are imposing upon their territory.

I almost completely agree with you animal mother. i am by no means an environmentalist, and while I think that it would be nice to see some other animals besides us on this earth 300 years from now, i also understand that life in it's entirety is nothing but a cut throught competition between different species. some will form aliances and others will become competitors. Most will face extinction, or the species that decend from them will. It's the harsh reality of addaption and evolution. Survival of the fitest.

Anybody see the "barbaric practises" that KFC does to it's Chicken? Well, it's still food. I don't see what all the outrage is about. I don't see many people arguing over whether or not cows or any other commonly soon-to-be-food-item animal feel pain at the slaughter house, because they obviously do.
If putting a rock lobster in a pot is considering cruel, what about shellfish..like...oyster shooters? It's not like they don't react, it's just that they response is limited to "Quiver" becuase they neither have legs nor hands. Then we have the classic rats, if rats feel pain to such a high degree, then no matter what trouble they cause, they should be left alone, but the truth is that we don't.

Being on top of the food chain but feeling setinmental is hard, thank god peas don't have dreams.

chrono_ware01,
During my lifetime there was a popular belief that plants felt emotions and even pain. Some people went so far as to play music to their house plants. No, there are no 100 percent safe waters.

A food item is a food item is a food item is not a pet. Being sentimental to that meat loaf is not going to make you enjoy it any better or make it come back to life wanting to cuddle you.
I just had the weirdest conversation with somebody from PETA the other day, he was discussing the barbaric practises of slaughterhouses while happily sitting at some dinner eating spring chicken, declaring that "You see, this chicken is cooked, so it has no feelings, but the live chickens do."

As a general rule PETA people are selfish and rude people who care more about telling you how to live your life than actually stopping animal cruelty. The Human society is a much better organization in almost every conceivable way.

Its sort of subjective to view food animals lower on the totem pole than pets for treatment. If doing something to a food animal makes the experience better and is moral than doing the same something to a pet should be moral if it makesthe experience better.

dwhatley;97921 said:
chrono_ware01,
During my lifetime there was a popular belief that plants felt emotions and even pain. Some people went so far as to play music to their house plants. No, there are no 100 percent safe waters.

The interesting thing is that studies conducted with plants in 3 different greenhouses, with all other conditions being equal, were played piped in music for the same number of hours each day. One greenhouse got rock, one got easy listening, one got Mozart and Bach. The rock plants were stunted and didn't do well, the easy listening plants did somewhat better, and the Mozart- Bach plants grew like crazy. Wonder what would have happened if they had played nothing but :diamond_trans:? Probably instant death! :sagrin:

Sorseress,
We are letting our age show just talking about playing music to plants. :wink: I always wondered how true that rumor was but there was not SNOPES to confirm or deny the test and results. Come to think of it there was no internet... actually there were no home computers :twisted: How did we survive :confused:

Well. there were books. I had one of those that detailed the findings of that study. Books were sheets of paper with printing on both sides that were bound together to keep them in order. You held them in your hand and turned the sheets of paper (called pages) and read the words printed on them. Instead of using a mouse to control the flow of words you actually had to physically turn the pages over. How totally archaic! (Kind of like me).
Attention Tony! We still don't have our old fogey smiley! :razz:

Books! All that new-fangled technology just ruined everything. Once they came out with those fancy books of yours, the kids never bothered to memorize the Iliad and Odyssey any more 'cause they could just "read" it in one of those "books" of yours. No respect for tradition. Bah, humbug.

I just have to work on smileys for an old fogey and a devils advocate soon. I've been thinking on it but the cloud won't make a defined shape in my head.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back