• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttlefish in a pool!

If the guy really is a cuttle breeder he knows all this, also a cuttle fish would not survive long in a fresh water sytem, like they would look half dead after 5 minutes.

Brock Fluharty;97573 said:
But the odds are that his "saline pool" did not meet the requirements for keeping the cuttles. The pool most likely wasn't kept cool enough, and the "partiers" probably harassed the poor things, and swam with them, and poured beer into the pool, etc. When people get drunk...well, you know.

well there were some kids at the party. so i don't think the adults would be so reckless as to get wasted. they did swim with them though.

also mabe i should clarify. the guy who had the cuttles at his party was not the breeder. he bought the cuttlefish from a friend of my friend's dad. then invited my friend and his dad and the breeder

We've established that it's a saline pool though.

If you're trying to make the point that it was high enough salinity for them, there are several other risk factors in this situation. Contact the guy, ask him what happened, then we'll figure this out without making assumptions...

In a standard swimming pool even a few gallons of ever clear wouldn't do much.

I would contact the breeder rather than the guy if anyone, it doesn't reallymatter, it happened (or didn't) and its over.

also, the fact that we all are Cuttlefish lovers here probably hurts our objectivity.

we need to remember that our object of affection is still seen as nothing more then a tasty snack to most of the world and a disposable resource.

I personally would never eat a Ceph after what I have learned about them. but now that I think about it some of our practices with our farm animals are pretty mean..... there is a slipery slope here.

you have a point bigred. ethics are all about what the culture believes is right. the canibals of old didn't see anything wrong with what they did. So the ethics of what i like to think of as our own subculture might differ from that of the mainstream.

I think its hypocritical to view an animal you fancy in a higher light than an animal that you don't, what makes an animal worthy of ethical considerations are the fact that it is alive and thinking and the environmental impact it has.

Thales;97647 said:
Bigred,

Why wouldn't your eat squid?

well besides the fact that I have always had a queasy stomach when it comes to shellfish. :hmm: ?

It is just that after seeing stories about how intelligent they are, I don't think I could bring my self to eat one. and yes I know that some farm animals are pretty smart too (pigs for one)..... like I said, it is hard to be objective.... hence what I said about the slippery slope.

not to mention the fact that I don't like eating things that are still looking back at me. ( I am not sure that is how squid is usually prepared but from what I have seen with other ceph's they still are in one piece. )

I have actually never eaten squid or octopus before, ( except for some squid flavored crackers I tryed from a asian market one time )

bigred1970;97649 said:
I am not sure that is how squid is usually prepared but from what I have seen with other ceph's they still are in one piece.

at the resteraunts i've been to they are generally served boiled or fried with only the tentacles. (no mantle accept for the siphon which they included)

Opcn,

Face it. If you saw someone in the park today step on a grasshopper, you'd walk on by. If you saw that same person stomp on a kitten, you'd stop to give that person an earful (or possibly a fistful).

I hate Cats, however this fits with what I postulated that there value comes form their life, intelligence, and ecological importance. A grasshopper fits one and three but not two. and three is a minor matter that goes both ways (grasshoppers can be a plauge)

Brock Fluharty;97668 said:
Opcn,

Face it. If you saw someone in the park today step on a grasshopper, you'd walk on by. If you saw that same person stomp on a kitten, you'd stop to give that person an earful (or possibly a fistful).

I think telling other people what they would really do in a situation is not a good way to make a point, often turns out to be incorrect, and strikes me as dismissive/rude. Just because you think one way is no reason to think others think the same. For instance, I had a discussion just the other day with someone stomping on bugs in a park.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back