• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

cuttlefish eggs??

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hi, I just got some eggs and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how soon they might be hatching out. Some have the black layer completely pealed away; while, the others still have it. Also, is there any way to tell if the babies are even alive. I can see the ones in the clearer eggs perfectly, but aren't they suppose to be moving?
Thanks,
KDS

magikceph

O. vulgaris
Registered
are they little puffy cause that means the embyro is developing, is they are scrunchy and shribbled up they wwont hatch soon.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
As they mature you should be able to see the eyes, it's called eyeing up also you will start to see the chromatophores sometimes even changing shape! Very cool, I've seen this with octopus and sepioloidea eggs.

J

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
THEY HATCHED!!!!!!!! I got up this morning and there were two tiny cuttles resting at the bottom. They are changing color, swimming, jetting around, and one spit out his yoke. Goodness, I am so nervous. I was not expecting them to hatch for another week!
KDS

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have never had baby cuttles before, so I don't know what is normal. I put some copepods in there and they won't eat. Also, how active are they suppose to be? They have not moved around much since this morning. Is it because they are nocturnal, shy/scared, or are they dying?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
They may not feed immediately, when we hatch out Sepioloidea they don't, it may be they still have some yolk on board. Thales or Cuttlegirl should be able to give you more info.

J

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
When they are small the generally aren't active because being active gets them eaten. Sometime you don't see them move at all for the first few days. I have always been of the opinion to leave the live food in with them so they can eat when they are ready. What kinds of copepods did you put in with them, and in what are you keeping the baby cuttles?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantbey

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak