• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttlefish eggs??

KDS

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hi, I just got some eggs and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how soon they might be hatching out. Some have the black layer completely pealed away; while, the others still have it. Also, is there any way to tell if the babies are even alive. I can see the ones in the clearer eggs perfectly, but aren't they suppose to be moving?
Thanks,
KDS

As they mature you should be able to see the eyes, it's called eyeing up also you will start to see the chromatophores sometimes even changing shape! Very cool, I've seen this with octopus and sepioloidea eggs.

J

THEY HATCHED!!!!!!!! I got up this morning and there were two tiny cuttles resting at the bottom. They are changing color, swimming, jetting around, and one spit out his yoke. Goodness, I am so nervous. I was not expecting them to hatch for another week!
KDS

I have never had baby cuttles before, so I don't know what is normal. I put some copepods in there and they won't eat. Also, how active are they suppose to be? They have not moved around much since this morning. Is it because they are nocturnal, shy/scared, or are they dying?

When they are small the generally aren't active because being active gets them eaten. Sometime you don't see them move at all for the first few days. I have always been of the opinion to leave the live food in with them so they can eat when they are ready. What kinds of copepods did you put in with them, and in what are you keeping the baby cuttles?

I have found copepods only to be a good food for the first couple of days, and I mostly like them because you can get some to keep in the fridge for that unexpected hatching. Mysids or amphipods are a much better food in general.

OK OFF TOPIC BUT MY OCTO WONT EAT ANYMORE SHOULD I GET HIM LIVE CRABS CAUSE HE SEEMED TO LOVE THOSE BEFOR AND HE STOPED EATING FROZEN STUFF

G*S KING;93003 said:
OK OFF TOPIC BUT MY OCTO WONT EAT ANYMORE SHOULD I GET HIM LIVE CRABS CAUSE HE SEEMED TO LOVE THOSE BEFOR AND HE STOPED EATING FROZEN STUFF

You can get some live crabs and try. How old is s/he? As they reach senescence (old age) the appetite tapers off to nothing and the end is nigh :cry: Hopefully s/he is just bored with the diet.

J

I got some tigger-pods like you suggested in my other thread. I am keeping the baby cuttles in one of those plastic critter keepers with holes drilled into the sides (my dad made sure the holes were small enough not to let the babies out yet still provided good water flow). We attached it to the side of the aquarium, so it is not moving around at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back