• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cuttlefish Eggs!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
My 2 newest hatchlings seem a bit deformed compared to what I've seen. One especially looks weird. His eyes are bugged out a bit and he has a more hour-glass shape to his body. They are both considerably larger than my other 2 but and swimming around but I haven't seen them eat yet.

I say deformed because the look nothing like my other 2 bandensis. I supposed they could be a different species but the eggs all looked identical. Also, these eggs were not attached to each other. They were shipped in seperate bags, 1 egg per bag.

Anyone else run into this?

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
cuttlegirl;162931 said:
Is the hourglass shape because the animal is indented right behind the head (between the head and the cuttlebone)?
You are correct. However when I got home today both of the 2 new guys had passed. The first hatchling from this bunch is still kicking, but he's not impressing me. I'm making sure to have food in there, but he's just not acting right.

Cephdoc

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reef Geek, i have a quick question for you? Were you pleased with what you recieved from nyaquatics.com? I just checked it out and you can buy an egg individually or 3 eggs? Correct me if im wrong. Did any of these hatch for you? From my understanding one did? Would you recommend them to me when the time came to get them? My LFS dont seem to understand what im talking about, or act like they can get them for me :frown:... only one said he got them in once and they died because he didnt know what to feed. What he was describing seemed like Bandensis eggs though. Idk, i just want a quality source, and eggs that will be healthy and hatch. BTW do you still have any of them? If so, update with pics and info please?
Thanks

HI guys I am new to the site. I have got a lot of information from you guys but just joined today. I have a pair of dawrf cuttlefish. The other day I woke up with these 2 sacks in my tank. They don't look like what I see cuttle eggs online, I know they look more like grape clusters. There are like 3 or 4 balls in each one. Could these possibly be eggs? Any info would help me a lot.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I can't get a picture but I have some eggs in a back cave now. Guess these things are eggs. I'm just going to keep them in the net. Anyone have a good source for live mysis? I might have some little ones to feed. If I set up a third tank in my office my girlfriend might kill me! Lol. Maybe it's time to clear my fish out of my reef tank. I only have 4 in there and 2 shrimp. All the crabs would be on there own. If eggs have some movement on them should I just leave them alone or put them in a net? How to you safely get them off the rocks? And sorry but about how long to eggs take to hatch? I could find that answer I'm sure on the Internet. Thanks guys

And also the night before both times I seen eggs the little one I asume is the female was acting very weird. Trouble catching food and was inking like I never seen? Is that weird or could it have something to to with eggs? These guys are not very old. I got them the end of February as juveniles so there prob only 6 months old.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak