• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cuttlefish Eggs!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
dwhatley;159638 said:
Is there stuff moving that might look like food outside the net?
Yes, there are ghost shrimp and pods outside of the net. Though I've seen him completely ignore a pod that crawled right in front of his face as he seemed to be searching the wall of the net for escape. I think I'll move the net against the wall of the tank to see if he changes sides when the view changes.

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
My single cuttle continues to do well. I have only witnessed him eating twice, but I put 3-4 mysis in at a time and when I check back later they are gone. There are still a few pods hiding inside the breeder-net so he shouldn't be going hungry.

As for the remaining eggs, I'm starting to think they will not hatch. I'm not sure why. If it's perhaps something I'm doing wrong or if it's just the luck of the draw. The eggs continue to sluff off the outter layer of the 'shell' and I'm thinking that's not a good thing. Has anyone else witnessed this before? The first 2 eggs from NY did it just before melting away and the remaining 11 eggs (I originally miscounted) are exhibiting similar shedding. I can definitely see at least white yolk in all of them but no movement that I can detect.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

if they're sloughing off material and you see a translucent, but not transparent, white center they probably were not viable. you'll know soon one way or another.

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
I can see a definitive white blob - can't get a good enough look to see if it's cuttle-form or still able to be made sunny-side up. It certainly doesn't look like the entire inside of the egg is cloudy, so hopefully we're still good.

Is it normal for there to be a large gap between hatchings? At this point my first little guy is a week old and still no other eggs have hatched.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
Yeah, most if not all of my other eggs are toast. So for now it's just the one cuttle, but he's doing well and growing fast.

I'm wondering if anyone has noted tank parameters that could cause eggs to bomb like this or did I just luck up and get only 1 out of 12 eggs that were fertile?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary T

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak