• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

Cuttlefish Eggs!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
So my 2 cuttlefish eggs from NYAquatics came in yesterday. I got them home and in my refugium. Both eggs appear to have a cuttle inside when I hold a flashlight to them, so hopefully both will hatch healthy.

As for pics, I thought my 8mp camera was pretty nice until I tried zooming in on these little guys. I see a new camera in my future!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
From what I've seen and read they appear to be sepia bandensis. I checked them this morning and no change.

Very pleased with the service I got from NYAquatic.com btw.

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
I struck gold in that my LFS got in what appears to be sepia Bandnesis eggs. I picked them up Saturday and they appear to be in excellent condition. 10 eggs for $25!!!

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
Ok, so my first 2 eggs arrived on June 22nd. The other 10 I got on the 26th. The first 2 are a bit smaller, say 2/3 the size of the "newer" eggs. The smaller eggs are also not as black as the larger ones. More of a tan color. So far I haven't been able to see any activity in any of the eggs. Seems I can make out a shape inside the smaller eggs, but who knows for sure.

I'm so impatient, I check the eggs like 3 times a day expecting to see a change. Isn't there a 'speed bake' option on these things? :smile:

The eggs appear to get lighter and semi-transparent as the embryo develops. Have seen 2 - 4 week incubation. Water temp may have something to do with incubation time, but I am not 100% sure of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecretCXMan

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak