• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Corals

I was wondering, since their is limited things you can place in a tank with an octo, what kind of corals would be in and Octo tank if any at all. I know your suppoeser to use little light on an Octo tank so are corals even possible? Are thier any corals that don't require High light? Thanx

The two main problems are that soem corals will sting an octopus's sensitive skin and more than likely the octopus will disturb the coral with its digging and knock it off its rock.

generally, a messy octopus tank isnt 'clean' enough for most corals...

I know just how you feel, setting up a marine tank and finding out you can't have coral!!

I'll ask Colin to correct me if im wrong but i believe that while some corals still sting them and others may be too delicate, a cuttlefish can be kept in a reef tank if you do some research and only choose hardy, non-aggressive corals. I guess this is because they dont 'crawl' as much. Then again i have also heard that cuttlefish like to redecorate.

Of course if you have your mind set on an octopus then i dunno - perhaps there are some corals which are safe for an octopus too? About the lighting, i believe if you provide adequate hiding space, the light won't overly concern the cephalopod. Just dont turn them on too quickly!!!

Hope this helps

sam

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back